Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What are you working on?

Started by jbadams Jan 23, 2017 at 4:07 AM 102 replies 43.5k views
Original Post
jbadams
jbadams

We haven't had one of these for a while, so let's see/hear what everyone is working on!

Screenshots or scans of concept art would be great to see, but don't go overboard unless people ask to see more! Don't forget to link us if you have a developer journal, blog or website to read more!

//EDIT:

Newbies and hobbyists, please don't be intimidated by some of the professional projects being shown, we'd all love to see what you're working on too!

- Jason Astle-Adams
fastcall22
fastcall22
Finally have some free time outside of work, so I started writing a new game. I’m exploring some different ways to do entity component systems with this space–shooter game:



This top–down shooter game borrows from both Magic Carpet and Geometry Wars. The player starts out weak, but grows stronger by collecting the energy, which is then used to feed new and stronger weapons. Complete objectives in each level to unlock special weapons and defeat the bosses!

Now, all that’s left is to update my blog. :^)
dpadam450
dpadam450

Killing Floor 2.

Personal Project (blog in signature) 3rd person shooter.

gZcPpH6.jpg

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims 
Amr0
Amr0

Curver - "intuitive 2D sculpting workflow". Curver aims to optimize the process of creating clean line-art by implementing an intuitive sculpting workflow. Featuring a small and focused set of tools, working with curves is no longer a chore.

http://code-section.com/curver/

Currently I'm working on expanding the tool set and increasing the robustness of the workflow. There is still A LOT of work to do on Curver. It's available as public beta and early access now. All feedback is welcome.

Uses C++, D3D9 (will switch to D3D11), and Sciter for GUI.

HappyCoder
HappyCoder
A 2d adventure game inspired by zelda. It is still in the very early stages but I drew some trees!
wI3esEz.png
It may be simple but, as a programmer, I am very happy with how they turned out.
My current game project Platform RPG
Mussi
Mussi

Great thread, was thinking of starting one myself :). Love seeing these kind of threads on art forums. Amazing projects!

I'm a freelance programmer by day, hero by night. I work on a multiplayer game in my spare time. Lately I've implemented a message timeline where I can visually inspect all incoming and outgoing messages and their data, what time and step they were sent/received, the line number in code where it's handled etc.

[attachment=34671:message-timeline.gif]

I've also worked on recording and playback for debugging purposes. The gif file for that is rather large(3.3MB), tried uploading it to my gallery but apparently I'm not allowed to create an album :<.

Edit: apparently there's no automatic playing of gifs so I'll attach it here:

[attachment=34673:recording.gif]

Oh and I created a Visual Studio plugin for some increased horizontal space by removing the suggestions and outlining margins, available here.

slayemin
slayemin

I'm an indie VR game developer working on my first game, Spellbound.

Most of my work for the past 3-4 months has been technical "behind the scenes" kinds of functionality stuff rather than visuals an aesthetics. I re-architected my core game code to support multiple hardware input controllers via a common control interface. Now, I can swap out an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift, and no code or config changes are necessary, and adding support for future VR hardware platforms will be very fast and easy. Also, you can now crouch and your character collision profile shrinks to match, and the animation roughly matches your pose.

I'm also adding in some illustrations to complement my story telling. Here's one of those illustrations:

http://imgur.com/a/LQGjq (kinda big)

jbadams
jbadams



FormulaEngine - a different way to script games

Looks interesting, I don't think I've seen you mention that one before!



Now, all that’s left is to update my blog. :^)

Haha, looks like you have fallen behind a bit! Your test looks like it's almost a game!



Curver - "intuitive 2D sculpting workflow". Curver aims to optimize the process of creating clean line-art by implementing an intuitive sculpting workflow. Featuring a small and focused set of tools, working with curves is no longer a chore.

That's pretty different, seems interesting! It looks pretty clumsy for just designing a glyph like in the video, what do you think your ideal intended use-case might be?

- Jason Astle-Adams
Kane_
Kane_

That's a lot of impressive work!

As a hobbyist who want to get into the game industry in a few years, I feel really small next to you!

For my part, I currently experiment with engines and libraries to find the ones I feel good working with. With the goal to make a set of simple shooter/plateformer/roguelike/other with them until I handle them well before attacking my "real" RPG project. But since everything is actually only written on notebook, I don't really have something to show about it...

jbadams
jbadams

That's a lot of impressive work!
As a hobbyist who want to get into the game industry in a few years, I feel really small next to you!

Go back about 10 years and a lot of our more experienced members were in your position, keep at it and in another decade you'll be the one impressing beginners! :)
- Jason Astle-Adams
Unduli
Unduli

After finally setting myself free from work, now I am ready to dedicate whole 2017 to finish my browser game project (which involves planning, catching up with latest programming stuff and well making game itself) which may not be as fascinating as what you people work on :)

Unfortunately at this point, there is nothing to show beside logo sketch :/ (if we don't count many pages of master plan written on paper)

WuhKaGC.png

liamtwose
liamtwose

Excited to be working on Adliberum Engine; my multiplayer open-world text adventure engine with descriptive scripting language.

Aiming to release the First Edition available for deployment in Q1 / Q2 2017. Lots of work still to go, but plowing ahead.

More info at wiki.adliberum.com
Press at press.adliberum.com

adl_box_art.png

DonnyC94
DonnyC94

I'm fairly new to games (originally was just producing music, branching out into games and story telling), I had an idea for a fictional universe and am working on using it for a game. Been figuring out the art style, as a newbie I'm thinking 2d action adventure, may think about RPG elements but my main focus is the story.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:8139]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:8230]
Kane_
Kane_


Go back about 10 years and a lot of our more experienced members were in your position, keep at it and in another decade you'll be the one impressing beginners! :)

Thank you for the encouragements! :)

That's my hopes for the future! But i'm working myself on gamedev seriously since ~2012, and I only have some prototype and a few Ludum Dare! That's not much for 5 years :(

Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge

I'm currently working on A Door to the Mists, a first-person game of traversal, exploration, puzzle-solving, and sparse combat (albeit that the combat is in third-person). My blog should be linked-to in my signature.

Of late I've been primarily working on cutscenes; once I've completed the current cutscene (the one intended to play before the first level) and likely one more short one after it, I intend to get back to level-building.

A video showing the tutorial level:

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.