I have been working on a mobile MMO type game - If you are thinking of GW or WoW, stop. This project is not and never will be even approaching that scale. This game is fairly limited in scope and is not a giant universe of things that would be appropriate for a large studio. Specifically, I have been trying to sort out what type of database would be appropriate. I have read posts and opinions on this topic ad nauseam. There is a team of programmers working on this project, but none of us have had any experience with NoSQL type databases. To be clear, I am not saying that we should be using a NoSQL database, but I am saying I want to study our options. So here are the details of my project.
Let's assume...
1. The project's scope is within the team's ability to complete it in a reasonable amount of time.
2. We will get to a large number of users, 10,000 concurrent, 100,000 total (relevant to rough size and activity of database - I realize there is far more to it, but work with me here)
3. The general server side architecture is authoritative in nature to discourage cheating, which means there will be a fair amount of database load per player.
4. No character walking around a large world - No location type data to be stored.
Database needs to store...
1. Many game objects that have varying levels of progression - not every player possesses the same objects (This is what makes me begin to wonder about NoSQL).
2. Inventory of a mixture of roughly 200 items and associated quantities.
3. Many time based events.
4. A large number of player to player transactions - think the stock market.
Thoughts?