Started by January 22, 2000 04:49 PM
81 comments, last by Toom 24 years, 7 months ago
Hmm... 59 for me... its cool, but I want the source ^_~ hehe

The Silver Abyss
Email: neorift@neorift.net
The Silver Abyss
ICQ: 2825400-------------------------www.NeoRift.net-------------------------
Hi. I gave you iso engine a spin and got a steady frame rate of 130! No joke. My comp is a P3 500 w/ 128mb ram, riva tnt w/ 16mb vram. I think something is wrong with how your getting the frame rate
Advertisement
Damn newbies...always wanting the source for everything.
quote: Original post by ggs

Hi. I gave you iso engine a spin and got a steady frame rate of 130! No joke. My comp is a P3 500 w/ 128mb ram, riva tnt w/ 16mb vram. I think something is wrong with how your getting the frame rate

Nope, afraid not. I''ve done the frame calculations using several different methods now (some copied from other people''s demos) and they all produce almost identical results. If it reports 130 FPS then that''s what you''re getting. My guess is that your card isn''t syncing to your monitor''s refresh rate for some reason (or you have a REALLY high refresh rate).

If I only measure the render time and don''t include the time it takes to flip, I can get anywhere from 150 to 250 "renderings" per second. The point being that I don''t think the map display will be the bottleneck in whatever game this grows into (if anything).

Everyone should keep in mind that the engine is pretty bare bones at this point. There is absolutely no game logic in it, which will likely drive down the frame rates somewhat when it''s added. It''s also using nothing but video RAM, which is perfectly acceptable except that I''m adding some features that will require the use of system RAM, and that will lower the frame rate too.

//TOOM
Any idea why I get that error message? I really want to test your engine.
quote: Original post by Brad8383

Any idea why I get that error message? I really want to test your engine.

Well, is sounds like you have a missing or corrupt copy of ddraw.dll on your system. You might want to reinstall DirectX 7a and see if that helps. That''s mostly just a guess though.

//TOOM
Advertisement
Eh, smart ass... dont forget you were a newbie once too... all things concidered being 16 and learning DX isn''t bad. (directed towards annon)
The Silver Abyss
ICQ: 2825400-------------------------www.NeoRift.net-------------------------
How is the scrolling range constrained? I mean if you go all the way over to the left for example and then move the cursor to the top of the screen the map scrolls not straight up, but up and to the right at the same time! Do you test somehow to make sure the point at the center of the screen doesn''t get too far away from the tiles?
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

How is the scrolling range constrained? I mean if you go all the way over to the left for example and then move the cursor to the top of the screen the map scrolls not straight up, but up and to the right at the same time! Do you test somehow to make sure the point at the center of the screen doesn''t get too far away from the tiles?

I posted the basic source for the map drawing algorithm under the thread Iso-scrolling. Check it out. The point at the center of the display ranges from 0 to 4095.

//TOOm
120fps with Celeron 466, 64MB and Voodoo3 3000. Cool. When will you release the source?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement