The most expensive pass in my rendering pipeline processes highly tessellated geometry and thus suffers from a high degree of quad overdraw. At the highest quality setting, the tessellation generates sub pixel triangles and the performance loss is quite drastic.
An obvious optimization is deferred texturing, which consists in running a pre pass which rasterizes the geometry and saves to some buffers all the data required by the original rendering pass: texture coordinates, derivatives etc. The original pass is then replaced by either a fullscreen triangle or a compute shader, with optimal quad utilization.
My question is: are gradient-based sampling functions nowadays less efficient than the ones not taking the gradient as argument ? That's my main worry and I could not find any information on this. I know that Deus Ex Manking uses this technique but I'd like to have some confirmation before coding a prototype. Also, apart from the need for intermediate buffers, are there other non obvious disadvantages ?
Thanks!
Stefano