Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Wolfenstein 3D Game Engine Black Book

Started by ericrrichards22 Sep 9, 2017 at 2:14 AM 6 replies 4k views
Original Post
ericrrichards22
ericrrichards22

Haven't seen any news about this posted here, and I just got my copy in the mail today, so I figured I'd mention it. I haven't had time to dive into it yet, but given Mr. Sanglard's previous work investigating and dissecting the released Doom and Quake source code, I'm very excited about it. Wolfenstein was the first 3D game I ever played, back almost 20 years ago on the family IBM PC clone.

http://fabiensanglard.net/Game_Engine_Black_Book_Release/index.php

ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine
On 9/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, ericrrichards22 said:

Wolfenstein was the first 3D game I ever played, back almost 20 years ago on the family IBM PC clone.

I hate to break it to you, but you're older than you think. Wolf 3d came out 25 years ago! :D

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
ericrrichards22
ericrrichards22
26 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

I hate to break it to you, but you're older than you think. Wolf 3d came out 25 years ago!

I think we were a little behind the times... I know it was on a 586-compatible clone from some company named FLEX, and the disk was a copy of the shareware first episode, with Wolf3D scrawled on the label with magic marker. I was a precocious little scamp, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't knifing Nazis at three years old, haha.

actsl
actsl
On 9/12/2017 at 4:04 AM, ChaosEngine said:

I hate to break it to you, but you're older than you think. Wolf 3d came out 25 years ago! :D

True but, what about making simple games just for fun, can it ever be outdated? A raycaster engine can be very simple, there are free ones out there with only 250 lines of code, shamingly easy to make simple games with them.

Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes

Just out of curious, do people still code software renderers or raycaster/tracers for fun?

Well do people here still do that?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.