Hello!
Recently i've been watching a lot of material on fighting and other competitive games. Most of serious fighting games have precise frame "timers".
Example:
5 frames for hit start animation
3 frames for still animation
5 frames for recovery animation
Games like Diablo 3 also have "Frame" counter.
But how do they go about precision? How do they ensure that frame A is equal to frame B and C?
I code games for Android and I switched to "time" based calculations instead of frame based long ago. But it turns out that frame precision is important in some cases.
How do big developers ensure that no frame skips happen and 1 frame is always the same length?
At the moment, I imagine, they simply test if there is no lag in animations, and if there is, they work around it to make it smooth.
Not to mention, making it for a specific hardware.
How to go about in mobile and PC markets?
"Delta" time calculations are quite cool, but it gets awkward if you lag for 2 seconds and bullets go through wall, if no proper checking is done.