Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

palettes

Started by rgillen Jan 24, 2000 at 2:38 PM 2 replies 650+ views
Original Post
rgillen
rgillen
Hello, I am relatively new to game programming and I have a question about graphics. What (preferably free or inexpensive) editor can you use to ensure that all of your bitmaps use the exact same 256-color palette? Thanks, Rob
SiCrane
SiCrane
Gimp can map an image to a custom palette. It''s script-fu functions can let you batch process a bunch of images at once. However, it''s not so good at selecting your optimal palette to begin with. But it''s free.
rgillen
rgillen
Thanks for your help!

Rob
DaBit
DaBit
I did this in the DOS (stone)age by building a large image containing all images I wanted to have a single palette, dithering that one down to 256 colors, and splitting the large image to the original smaller ones.

I wrote code that accepted .TGA''s and spitted out raw pixel files+palette. Mail me if you are interested, and I will see if I can get my old tapedrive to work.

DaBit.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.