Hello dear AI folk!
I picked up a passion for Game AI a while ago and I wanted to join a community for a while now. This seems to be the right place to get cozy.
Now, for my bachelors degree, I am supposed to write a research essay (about 20 pages). I chose to title it "Comparing Approaches to Game AI imder Consideration of Gameplay Mechanics". In the essay I am making bold statements, concerning the state of related work in the field. I want to know, if it holds up to reality. And what better way to find out, than asking the community of said reality?
QuoteIV. Related Work
There are quite some sources to draw from, when entering the field of Game AI programming. “The AI Programmer’s Bookshelf“[1] is a good place to start a beginner‘s journey to this discipline of programmming. Next to the rather scientific analysis of the algorithms, there is alot of information to be collected from post mortems and anecdotal reports of AI hacks, tricks and work ethics to be found all over the internet, or comprised into books.
On the other hand the field of game design is starting to create rules and tools for unified language. It is a requirement for research and communication of common patterns and conceptions in a way, that is re-usable as in science as in context of development. Lists of game design patterns and gameplay mechanics are yet incomplete and inhomogeneous in structure and detail. The information about any specific relation between types of gameplay and types of AI is vast, but barely exploited in form of scientific documentation.
This lack of documentation is comprehensible for two reasons: First, AI is a selling point for alot of games. Non disclosure agreements keep developers closemouthed about the details of recent or current work. Also, the player community is carefully respected for finding exploits in a game’s AI and possibly breaking the game for them and others.
Second, successful developers already do the right job and have no need for an abundant list of gameplay mechanics, game AI structures, or their correlation. Dedicated AI developers grow with experience at the hand of their productions, or by those of others in the form of post mortems. It is far more profitable for them to use their time applying the techniques, than documenting them.
Disclaimer: This is the first research paper I have ever done and it is work in progress. I feel that I suck at this.
The main question is: Does the above statement hold up to reality?
But please don't shy away from corrections or general advice.
I would also like to share the completed work as soon as it is done, if anyone is interested. I am in dear need of some feedback, that I personally can grow by.
Cheers