Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Would you please STOP slurping my data?

Started by d000hg Jun 7, 2018 at 1:04 PM 8 replies 3.5k views
Original Post
d000hg
d000hg

Once again, I try to visit GD and I am presented with mandatory "give us your personal information" pages:

image.png.8d99989e90b5a44f3eb0bd408945b7a4.png

Have you made the decision that only industry professionals are allowed on GD now, because I don't work in the games industry but am still interested in amateur development?


It's getting rather wearing now.

the incredible smoker
the incredible smoker

Then you can select all options all together.

S T O P   C R I M E ! Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70  Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor
khawk
1 hour ago, d000hg said:

Have you made the decision that only industry professionals are allowed on GD now, because I don't work in the games industry but am still interested in amateur development?

This isn't the intent of the field.

The intent is to better understand your specific interests, which can be collectively used to determine the type of content GameDev.net should source and publish. I will update the field to better reflect this.

d000hg
d000hg

It's just I'm sure I've been asked this only recently when you rolled out the new forum, maybe more than once. Why do I have to tell you?

khawk
4 minutes ago, d000hg said:

It's just I'm sure I've been asked this only recently when you rolled out the new forum, maybe more than once. Why do I have to tell you?

Members are asked to check their profiles if the profile fields change. Not all of them are required, but the ones that are will trigger a profile review.

As for why, industry role helps us understand what content, pages, areas, jobs (with https://gamedev.jobs) and topics people may be interested in seeing. In the end it's about providing a better service.

Admin for GameDev.net.
Nypyren
Nypyren
12 minutes ago, d000hg said:

It's just I'm sure I've been asked this only recently when you rolled out the new forum, maybe more than once. Why do I have to tell you?

You don't; just pick some random value.

d000hg
d000hg
5 minutes ago, Nypyren said:

You don't; just pick some random value.

Well then I'm having to lie which I dislike. I think it should just be optional.

DoctorGlow
DoctorGlow
55 minutes ago, d000hg said:

Well then I'm having to lie which I dislike. I think it should just be optional.

+1 here too.

khawk
On 6/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, khawk said:

I will update the field to better reflect this.

I didn't update the thread at the time, but when I updated the field I added Student and Amateur / Hobbyist options, which would cover the non-professional/industry role.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.