any tips for writing a good dark fantasy setting?

Started by
12 comments, last by nastyplot 5 years, 6 months ago

i want to make a game where the main char fights against monster and beasts but i'm having a bad time coming up with a good reason, i don't like ti i feel like the most basic thing on a rpg is a good story

the most obvious thing would be revenge (someone he held dear died to a monster/beast/bandit) or wealth (yep he just wants money) but these seem too simple, i also thought of making him of a long line of heroes or something like this

i find myself having a easier time modeling indoor environments so getting hired to kill monsters who plague the nobility could work but it sounds kinda of boring

when i think fo the character i picture a old man with a eye patch and plate armor but this could easily change, the more think about a more agile armor made form the monsters he kill could also be good

any way i thought it would be a good idea to ask for a more professional opinion before i end up writing to much into it

Advertisement

Dark fantasy? So horror would be a good idea. What about the intelligent monster concept?

This gives a lot of options. You could go the Planet Of The Apes path with the monsters evolving and humans trying to defeat them before they could gain power. Or you could do a monster rebellion as one of them gained intelligence and trying to free it's kind by any means necessary.

You could also go the full Jaws path and make a monster who is given intelligence and only wants to use it to destroy. Although this cuts a bit on the Dark part.

4 hours ago, ObjectivityGuy said:

i find myself having a easier time modeling indoor environments

Some kind of lab maybe? The one nice thing as that it would constraint the world to a manageable size. Not only that but if the monster laid traps for the player, the difficulty curve could be used to show how the monster is "learning it's environment" adapting to the human tools.

4 hours ago, ObjectivityGuy said:

when i think fo the character i picture a old man with a eye patch and plate armor but this could easily change, the more think about a more agile armor made form the monsters he kill could also be good

Some kind of mercenary, only doing it for the money. Faced with the new horror of the monster he is tasked to hunt, suddenly turns from extermination to fight for survival.

The cold calculating mercenary faced with the monster suddenly is forced to adapt. Where the mercenary only looked at others on his team as man power, he now is forced to see them as more, as he now starts to lose them and has to decide who to sacrifice for their survival.

Armour made from monsters can reflect the choices made by the mercenary. He starts covered by the corps of a monster, only to have it flaked away by the trails, to reveal his humanity underneath.

"A man is defined by his actions- a hero by his feats" It's the reason why people feel Batman is as powerful as Superman if not more so; because when we think Superman we think Man of Steel. When we think Batman, we think The Joker. A good villain will make a hero.

Dark stories are suppose to make the player question who is right and who is wrong, make them question the actions of the characters around them and make them question them self.

All of this is my personal opinion. You probably have other plans, but maybe something here will inspire you.

sorry for taking so long to reply, i posted it late in the night so i had to sleep right after

i guess i could do a scifi setting with a alien or eldritch monster that evolves and multiplies with time

maybe experiments with inter-dimensional travel opened a gate to some hellhole

i was thinking of a infection type monster similar to the symbiote from spiderman, something that corrupts other living creatures

having it go around gathering genetic materials and memories preparing to evolve while using the corrupted hosts to buy time

maybe it could even absorb weaponry and technology, a monster with guns

at some point i could have the main char get infected but somehow resist it and gain some powers

i could even have him become the one being hunted instead

i will try and make some sketches although i'm not a concept artist so it probably wont be that good

2 hours ago, ObjectivityGuy said:

i will try and make some sketches although i'm not a concept artist so it probably wont be that good

Sketches are only necessary when words fail. Nobody needs bad sketches of characters. But a wireframe of the UI is a good thing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

50 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Sketches are only necessary when words fail. Nobody needs bad sketches of characters. But a wireframe of the UI is a good thing.

you are probably right, bad habit i tend to be a more visual guy

so far this is what i came up with

in the far future the universe starts to decay and in order to survive the whole of civilization start to migrate to another world

for whatever reason thought the gate that connected the two worlds started malfunctioning and by the end of the migration it even went as far as connecting to a different world for a short moment

after some investigation its believed that it was hacked and the security is increased but they never find the culprit and after a long time goes by people forget about the incident

by the point all races have finished reestablishing themselves however the contact with the gate is lost and the scanners can no longer detect it and nobody who went the returns

a group of elite mercenaries among them you is sent to find out whatever happened to the gate

some notes:

as people had to adapt to massively different environments and survive wars all races including humanity have some degree of inborn biotech on them both by necessity and design

the gate is a huge structure and even now after the vast majority of civilization is in the second world it still holds large amounts and variety of wildlife and resources

i'm picturing the game starting on their arrival with everyone waking up form cryogenic capsules and meeting on the ship's hub to discuss what is happening

now that i think about it maybe i should just go to the hobby page to look for a writer it far more likely than trying to write a good story without experience in wirting

Just a thought base the story around a plague hitting the main characters home and they need to set of to gather the rare ingredients needed to cure it.  It would give the main character a good reason to fight monster both to get ingredients and sometimes to acquire them from their corpses.  It would also give you a  good reason to go nuts with environments because rare things are usually found in fairly exotic locations.  You could take it a lot of different directions it just depends on what your going for with the game play.

You need to do a lot of research and reading. For a Dark fantasy setting, real-life scenarios can help you build your own world. Try to read more topics about oppression, corrupt governance, infestation, and other negative scenarios that influence the way the characters live. With these, you can create your motives to fight monsters (for example of territorial infestation) or fight tyrannical leaders to free from their oppression. 

On Hiatus this month. Will be taking a brief vacation from work. Got my F-150 working again so I bought a few items including fuel wheels to use for the road trip.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:04 AM, nikko1017 said:

You need to do a lot of research and reading. For a Dark fantasy setting, real-life scenarios can help you build your own world. Try to read more topics about oppression, corrupt governance, infestation, and other negative scenarios that influence the way the characters live. With these, you can create your motives to fight monsters (for example of territorial infestation) or fight tyrannical leaders to free from their oppression. 

Research and reading is actually the most important.

When i need to accumulate some inspiration into characters, be it game development, writing a story, or acting i use the mirror technique a lot of actors use while learning their role for months.

Write down the traits and the story behind your character, and then sit down in front of a mirror and read each thing you wrote about the character, imagine every detail that you are this character, branch out to why you have become this evil, what were the motivations. 

Eventually it all comes together and you can lose your own personality if you worked on the character at least an hour a day. Turn on some music your character would like to listen. There are lots of tools to put your mindset into some real inspirational moods

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement