Summer Baseball Challenge - Entry

Started by
6 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 8 months ago

I've completed my entry for the Summer Baseball Challenge.

I will be posting a blog update regarding the process. I wasn't able to get what I wanted done due to August being a horrible month for me to pick up any side projects (Corp end year for taxes, and a lot of client meetings). I had about a week to work on this, and strictly made it a simulation game. I took out the batting directional option due to exploitation, and left it all simulated. As there are over 150+ possible variations in events I didn't have enough time to look at adjusting and balancing so the outs are pretty high in this game resulting in higher innings to reach your 21 points. I don't have individual batter stats, or stats for any players that change the simulation in anyway due to time restrictions.

Let me know if there are any problems.

I've met the following requirements in this entry:

1. Text Based + Visuals done in 3D and adjusted for 2D.

2. Music file included

3. Following rules are included in the sim: 3 Strikes you're out, 4 Balls and you walk, Ball is foul if outside of the diamond (past 3rd, 1st, behind plate, out of park, or beyond foul lines), Outs for catching the ball, Outs for catching the ball after one bounce, Outs for runners unable to complete their base advancement. Runners will sometimes hold, or double run depending on the events played. 21 points to win, must have equal hands played. Runners cannot advance on fouls, or strikes, or balls (unless batter is walking to 1st and that base is already loaded, then runners will proceed to the next base). I have a lot in here so I might have missed something in this description.

4. Scoring, and Winner, Loser, or Tie Screen

5. Ability to return to the main menu.

6. Game runs on Windows

7. Project file uploaded on GameDev.net

Final Notes:

I forgot to update a few things. If the simulation ends but you've scored after 3 outs, that run is actually not included. Example: Batter ran to first and got out before the 3rd base runner hits home plate. In the sim log it will show Out, then Run Scored, but the game itself doesn't recognize scored runs after 3 outs, I just didn't have time to filter the chat log from showing it as the sim does the entire scenario regardless.

I also forgot on the win screen to just show winning without running a sim first. It only does this if the Player is going to win as it waits for the full inning to finish and checks the win condition after the sim not before in this game. Just a little mix up, but the sim itself doesn't effect the final win condition. I was rushing to get the entry in on time so I just left these things...  

:) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Took this as an opportunity to update to the latest version of wine on my linux mint (as it wouldn't run on the old version I had due to ms runtimes missing) and by heck, it worked!! ?

A wise move I think using the text interface alongside the game view, to manage to complete the challenge in a short time despite it potentially being a very time consuming project. Well done! ?

14 hours ago, lawnjelly said:

Took this as an opportunity to update to the latest version of wine on my linux mint (as it wouldn't run on the old version I had due to ms runtimes missing) and by heck, it worked!! ?

A wise move I think using the text interface alongside the game view, to manage to complete the challenge in a short time despite it potentially being a very time consuming project. Well done! ?

Thanks! I'm working on my "blog post" regarding the game. I had many ideas to either do a 2D sports game with actual interaction, or a 3D but with a week it would be impossible. I even had those models rigged and some animations done, but rendering the animations was going to take too long, and I even thought about using openGL to just render the 3D models with animation, but again... no time. The only way I could finish this was to go full sim, but I did spend some time on the graphics so at least it had a visual touch and that "real time" play field update with the portraits along side the sim. :) 

I forgot to update a few things. If the simulation ends but you've scored after 3 outs, that run is actually not included. Example: Batter ran to first and got out before the 3rd base runner hits home plate. In the sim log it will show Out, then Run Scored, but the game itself doesn't recognize scored runs after 3 outs, I just didn't have time to filter the chat log from showing it as the sim does the entire scenario regardless.

I also forgot on the win screen to just show winning without running a sim first. It only does this if the Player is going to win as it waits for the full inning to finish and checks the win condition after the sim not before in this game. Just a little mix up, but the sim itself doesn't effect the final win condition. I was rushing to get the entry in on time so I just left these things... :D

I'll post back when my blog entry is done. :) Thanks for checking in!

Programmer and 3D Artist

It's simple, but it's actually pretty neat that you created a basic baseball simulator.. even if it does go past 9 innings. ;) Kudos for finding a way to complete the requirements despite having less time. I'll look forward to the blog post and thought process behind the development.

I know this was a tough challenge, but I'm glad someone made the attempt. Badge awarded!

Admin for GameDev.net.

10 minutes ago, khawk said:

It's simple, but it's actually pretty neat that you created a basic baseball simulator.. even if it does go past 9 innings. ;) Kudos for finding a way to complete the requirements despite having less time. I'll look forward to the blog post and thought process behind the development.

I know this was a tough challenge, but I'm glad someone made the attempt. Badge awarded!

Thanks! :) I didn't know about the 9 inning rule :D

Just for reference, are games only ran up to 9 full innings and the highest scorer wins? I must've misunderstood about the ACE. I thought the first team to score 21 would win. :D I looked more online and I guess the term 'ACE' refers to a run, not 21 points ? I don't even know how I came to the conclusion an ACE was 21... I guess too much blackjack on the mind!

Programmer and 3D Artist

3 minutes ago, Rutin said:

Thanks! :) I didn't know about the 9 inning rule :D

Just for reference, are games only ran up to 9 full innings and the highest scorer wins? I must've misunderstood about the ACE. I thought the first team to score 21 would win. :D I looked more online and I guess the term 'ACE' refers to a run, not 21 points ? I don't even know how I came to the conclusion an ACE was 21... I guess too much blackjack on the mind!

That's pretty funny. :) Yeah I believe the term ACE is a run. Nobody calls it an ACE anymore, to my knowledge.

Yes, the standard game is 9 innings, and the team with the most runs at the end of 9 innings wins. If there is a tie then you go into "extra innings" which is sort of like sudden death. Now I don't know if 9 innings was standard when Knickerbocker rules were in place. It might have been 7 or less.

The key about innings is that the home team always has the final chance, being in the bottom of the inning.

So in a standard 9 inning game, if the home team is winning 2-1 after the visiting team has had their at-bat in the top of the 9th inning, then the game is over because there is no reason for the home team to bat since they're already winning.

In a game that goes to extra innings, it's sudden death in terms of final score at the end of each inning. By that I mean the visiting team can continue to score as many runs as possible in the top of the inning. But if the visiting team doesn't score any in the top of the inning (and the game is still tied), then the game is over if the home team scores 1 run. Otherwise, the home team needs to score at least as many runs as the visiting team to keep the game going in extra innings, or they need to score more than the visiting team to win the game in extra innings.

The postseason/playoffs can be very exciting for this reason, especially with a hard fought battle in extra innings in the 7th game of a 7 game series where the loser's season is over. 

Admin for GameDev.net.

Thanks! Now I have a better understanding. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement