My idea about a turn based strategy game

Started by
4 comments, last by TheCyberFlash 5 years, 6 months ago

Recently a Youtube video reminded me of a game I played years ago called Advance War. It's basically a turn based strategy game with the simplest mechanics that you conquer cities on the map to generate income, make units in the factory next to your HQ and try to capture your opponent's HQ to win the game. I am fairly interested in this genre, and I think I could make something with similar mechanics and add more flavor to it (ex.different factions with different units, better map design). 

The question is, is there any people who are still interested in this kind of old school game?

Advertisement

Yes, there are people who still like the genre.  More importantly though is that YOU like it.  Especially if you decide to make one.  They are intricate beasts and lots of fun both in the making(never finished one, but I've tried) and playing.  The problem is usually that  most of them are just ripoffs of each other.  Nobody has innovated the genre much over the decades.  That's probably why it seems like nobody plays them anymore.

I loved that game. A good similar game would work fine. But as Septopus says many ripoff that aren't fun to play exist.

Advanced wars was simplistic but still felt fair and the mechanics/unit strength/weaknesses felt realistic. Units each had a distinct function/role in the game and the different characters (and their special power) worked well too.

"Tiny metal" is a modern take on the genre. I tried it but it didnt really fly with me. Maybe I'm just older now :P

I think a simplistic, almost board game feel to it works better than a realistic, military simulation style (with loads of unit stats, different resource types, including upkeep costs, realistic vision etc). But it also depends on how slow you want to make the game.

I play the doom RPG because its got good replay ability and a great story. But if you wanna make a turn based strategy game make a game like final fantasy where your not limited to choices and can attack freely. Also make the theme different from other games, no one wants a copy ya know 

On 11/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, liyu711 said:

I think I could make something with similar mechanics and add more flavor to it

I think you definitely should! I like these kind of games for sure! If you like these games and you want to make one, you totally should do it :D . I think there's an audience for any kind of game really so it'd be more about what you wanna do/what you like to do. (In my opinion of course)

If you're looking for 'success' with this genre I think that comes from your 'add more flavor to it' if you hit the sweetspot of flavor.. You're golden :D 

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement