Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What's is the best story game you've played?

Started by ARF Initiative Nov 12, 2018 at 3:38 PM 27 replies 12.1k views
Original Post
ARF Initiative
ARF Initiative

I know there are some games which stories just changed all. Stories that got us involved in for a long time. Those stories became a really important part of our favorite video games libraries.

I'm just thinking about games I really enjoy because their stories are simply amazing. And so, this is my Top 3:


Last of Us.

This story of a surrogate father and daughter fighting for personal survival, forging bonds, and looking toward the survival of the entire human race is at times triumphant and others painful.


The Witcher.

The kind of story you will enjoy playing for 200 hours. No doubt. It's a complex but classic story of knights, witches, magic, gods, betrayals, transformations and love. Put everything together and let the story both hits and subverts fantasy and adventure. You can't blink your eyes or you'll loose something important about the game.


Zelda: Ocarina of time.

Probably the best game I've played in my whole life. Not only for the story (it's another Link story more, yeah, but deeper), but also for what it means to me (my early times playing video games).

Obviously, there are much more games to talk about (Bioshock, for example). What are your Top3 Story Games?

Geonamic
Geonamic

My top 3 story games would be:

Xenoblade Chronicles

It does start off generic and slow, but when it picks up, everything is just mind = blown. That's all I'll say because it's really good, and I don't want to spoil what happens. If you love your sanity, don't expect the same from Xenoblade Chronicles X or 2.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Mostly because talking to NPCs between every plot advancement actually paid off either in getting tangible rewards or very interesting dialogue that only got better if you kept talking to them while the story continued. It also made sense for these NPCs to say responsive yet profound dialogue for the plot. I will say that the ending sucked, though.

Time and Eternity

Ok, I know this game has a really bad reputation because the first 80% is garbage and a total harem, but I couldn't believe the last 20% of the story along with the last few sidequests were able to redeem all the trash I had to sort through first. The story doesn't excuse the trashy gameplay one bit, but we're not talking about gameplay.

"If I had the power of a god, I'd prevent others from obtaining that same power and throw mine away, even if I had to kill myself, because no matter how good the intentions may be, using omnipotence will have trade-offs for the good and bad but on an infinite scale beyond human imagination."
Chug Buster
Chug Buster

I only have 1 because I don't play a lot of story heavy games. Night In The Woods has a fantastic story and great visuals. I think the main reason the story is so great is because the characters all feel really real. I don't know how this compares to other story games though, because as I said I haven't played many.

"The bigger they are, the larger they are."
EeksGames
EeksGames

I'm just going to be cliche because it's true. FF7 was the absolute best story. At 16 I had not been immersed in a game like that before, and it was also the first RPG I beat. They wanted players to beat it, which meant a lot to the game. Chrono Trigger comes in second. Took three attempts and hard grinding on the third to beat it. Really good. Mario RPG was another really good one for me, although I only made it to Smithy's Castle. Runner ups are Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Still Life. I'm not sure if they can all be considered story games, but they had a decent story.

DexterZ101
DexterZ101

My top-3 favorite games of all time that inspired me to developed games as a hobby, but to each his own and here's mine ^_^Y

Craft(franchise) StarCraft/WarCraft | PC

Particular(StarCraft): While others are playing Counter Strike to one of my favorite internet cafe, well that's back in the day :)) I play StarCraft and trying to find someone to beat over local area, love the story and the game-play balance I'm still playing StarCraft 2 up to this day. it's to fans to find out what happened to Kerrigan ^_^y Oopss and yeah can't wait for WarCraft 3 reforged to be released in 2019.


Allow me to post some of my pic:
STARCRAFT.jpg.1e8285941b632d487425771ad567f0ff.jpg


Halo (franchise)| Xbox

Particular(Reach): I like Master Chief, Cortana and the story, now who doesn't want a sci-fi military action shooter game with an AI babe at your side and who knows cortana is already installed on your windows too ? It's the only First person shooter game I play on console that I wanted to finish all the campaign. I played all of the series (1,2,wars,reach,4) from PC to Xbox to Xbox 360 and I'm also planning to buy Xbox One just to play Halo 5 and Halo infinite oo( Ok let's include Gears of War and Forza ).

Allow me to post some of my pic:
HALOS.thumb.JPG.5c4f9accd70aedc7556aac720f8a5041.JPG

Legend of Zelda (franchise) | Nintendo

Particular(Ocarina of time): Legend of zelda series very well known to gamers specially if your a nintendo fans I love all the series because it relates to every series in different time and of course it was designed by Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto who also create Mario, Donkey kong, Pikmin and StarFox ^_^y Still playing Breath of the wild.

Allow me to post some of my pic:
ZELDAS2.JPG.97dd2e002563c53d3ac6c210426b48ad.JPG

qunber
qunber

I can say "Playdead's Inside".

“Inside expands on the concepts and scope of its predecessor in wildly creative ways, and it's so immaculately designed and constructed from top to bottom that it almost feels suitable for display in an art museum. This is one hell of a followup.”




----------------

Games

ARF Initiative
ARF Initiative
On 11/30/2018 at 4:45 AM, DexterZ101 said:

My top-3 favorite games of all time that inspired me to developed games as a hobby, but to each his own and here's mine ^_^Y

Craft(franchise) StarCraft/WarCraft | PC

Particular(StarCraft): While others are playing Counter Strike to one of my favorite internet cafe, well that's back in the day :)) I play StarCraft and trying to find someone to beat over local area, love the story and the game-play balance I'm still playing StarCraft 2 up to this day. it's to fans to find out what happened to Kerrigan ^_^y Oopss and yeah can't wait for WarCraft 3 reforged to be released in 2019.


Allow me to post some of my pic:
STARCRAFT.jpg.1e8285941b632d487425771ad567f0ff.jpg


Halo (franchise)| Xbox

Particular(Reach): I like Master Chief, Cortana and the story, now who doesn't want a sci-fi military action shooter game with an AI babe at your side and who knows cortana is already installed on your windows too ? It's the only First person shooter game I play on console that I wanted to finish all the campaign. I played all of the series (1,2,wars,reach,4) from PC to Xbox to Xbox 360 and I'm also planning to buy Xbox One just to play Halo 5 and Halo infinite oo( Ok let's include Gears of War and Forza ).

Allow me to post some of my pic:
HALOS.thumb.JPG.5c4f9accd70aedc7556aac720f8a5041.JPG

Legend of Zelda (franchise) | Nintendo

Particular(Ocarina of time): Legend of zelda series very well known to gamers specially if your a nintendo fans I love all the series because it relates to every series in different time and of course it was designed by Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto who also create Mario, Donkey kong, Pikmin and StarFox ^_^y Still playing Breath of the wild.

Allow me to post some of my pic:
ZELDAS2.JPG.97dd2e002563c53d3ac6c210426b48ad.JPG

I can see that when you love a game, you love all about it. That's so cool, man! Love your Zelda Series.

DexterZ101
DexterZ101
2 hours ago, Esteban5XG said:

I can see that when you love a game, you love all about it. That's so cool, man! Love your Zelda Series.

Thank's man I really love it Bru : (( Some post on this thread has love for Legend of Zelda Story, Because I'm a fan I even collected some of it's figures and my Zelda OOT on N64 still working : - D


ZELDA.thumb.jpg.e2438b9e32334f9e4069f09835a98eac.jpg

EDIT : and of course the legendary quote It's dangerous to go alone : - D

GOALONE3.jpg.81ab5036c99b1ccb78cdf1958377648c.jpg


warhound
warhound

I'm surprised the new God of War wasn't mentioned in this topic. God of War tells a very good story that is full of great moments of Kratos with his son Atreus. What's interesting is how it's a fantasy/mythological tale and has some grand scale, but still stays very grounded in terms of emotions and depth.

The Metal Gear series, especially MGS4, not so much 5, had amazing stories as well. 4 felt like an action movie and a game at the same time. It was definitely the strongest entry in the franchise.

Bioshock Infinite had a great plot as well that delved a lot into the notion of choice and quantum theory.

Definitely agree with the mentions of Legend of Zelda, Halo, the Witcher, and Starcraft.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
bug_ugly
bug_ugly

Dwarf Fortress because I created my own story there.

ARF Initiative
ARF Initiative
13 hours ago, bug_ugly said:

Dwarf Fortress because I created my own story there.

What kind of game is it? Sounds interesting if you can make your own story, but I guess it has to be a little bit of different than other current games. Can you tell me how it works?

13 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

I'm surprised the new God of War wasn't mentioned in this topic. God of War tells a very good story that is full of great moments of Kratos with his son Atreus. What's interesting is how it's a fantasy/mythological tale and has some grand scale, but still stays very grounded in terms of emotions and depth.

The Metal Gear series, especially MGS4, not so much 5, had amazing stories as well. 4 felt like an action movie and a game at the same time. It was definitely the strongest entry in the franchise.

Bioshock Infinite had a great plot as well that delved a lot into the notion of choice and quantum theory.

Definitely agree with the mentions of Legend of Zelda, Halo, the Witcher, and Starcraft.

Those games are amazing too, but you must admit how difficult is to select only 3 of them. BTW, love Rapture city!

1024
1024
2 hours ago, Esteban5XG said:

What kind of game is it? Sounds interesting if you can make your own story, but I guess it has to be a little bit of different than other current games. Can you tell me how it works?

Dwarf Fortress is a city builder / management sim with a ridiculous amount of detail and an equally ridiculous lack of UX design. It features a large amount of procedural generation. And as usual with such games, "you make your own story" is code for "there is no story, it's a sandbox game".

krb
krb

Lisa the Painful. It's essentially just the RPG Maker engine used for the game with no additional scripts added, but the writing and world building set it apart as one of the most memorable games I've ever played. The soundtrack and graphics are pretty good too. There are 2 more games in the series, this is the second of the 3 but it is the best as far as story in my opinion. It's all made by one guy which is pretty cool.

Finalspace
Finalspace

I played so many games in my life, but there only two exceptionally games which i can clearly mention and recommend here:


Life is Strange

I bought LIS as a total random buy on steam many many years ago and it was my very first game of this kind of movie-game genre. Normally i play more action adventures or hardcore jump & run games, but this game for some reason got me... I had no idea what this game was all about, as there was no hype at that time. I simply bought it, installed it and played it and was blown away by it. It was one of such games you start playing and cant stop until you finish it. Really glad that i had not to work on that week then. Really i loved everything about this game, the story, the graphics, the gameplay, even the menu and lastly that great Soundtrack.
I dont listen to slower kind of music normally, but this soundtrack man - i really loved it.

So what is this game all about? Its that kind of game where your actions and decisions may change the fate of others. Normally such decisisions cannot be reverted, but in Life in Strange you can actually revert it - at least to some extent. But doing so, comes with a a price. That price is so intense and emotional and LIS lets you feel it. So i literaly cried for hours after i finished this game. Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.


Beyond Two Souls

In 2016, i found a trailer by accident while listening to movie/game soundtracks, while lying sick in bed.
That trailer was so fascinating, as it looked similar to Life is Strange, but more darker.
So i bought it for PS4, directly on the PSN store for ~40 Euros, which is really expensive for a download-only game.
I installed it, started it and that menu... that music... i instantly liked it. After watching the intro, i knew this was the game i was waiting for all those decades.

This game is similar to Life is Strange, but is so much darker and intense -> LIS in comparisons feels like a kindergarten. In Beyond Two Souls you cannot revert your decisions. Every decision you made, change the future - whether in a bad, neutral or in a good way. The core elements of that game are horror, violence, mystery and a ton of action. Its like playing a movie, but actually changing the movie - while sitting in a roller coaster. It has an extraordinary emotional soundtrack, very good visuals with good capture of character feelings and a really good story with multiple endings.

Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.
But its not for everyone -> Some people dont like it, because it is not really a game - but rather a interactive movie.
For me its the best game i ever have played, so i bought the soundtrack and the retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends. And yes i shed a lot of tears for that game as well.

Kavik Kang
Kavik Kang

Speaking on behalf of the over 40 crowd... Star Control II.


"I wish that I could live it all again."
Finalspace
Finalspace
23 minutes ago, Kavik Kang said:

Speaking on behalf of the over 40 crowd... Star Control II.


I am 4 years away from 40 and never heard of this :D But looks very old indeed.

jbadams
jbadams

7 years off from 40, and absolutely loved Star Control II. :)

If you're feeling nostalgic (or want to give it a go as a first time player) there's a faithful free/open source remake called The Ur-Quan Masters. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams
ARF Initiative
ARF Initiative
23 hours ago, Finalspace said:

I played so many games in my life, but there only two exceptionally games which i can clearly mention and recommend here:


Life is Strange

I bought LIS as a total random buy on steam many many years ago and it was my very first game of this kind of movie-game genre. Normally i play more action adventures or hardcore jump & run games, but this game for some reason got me... I had no idea what this game was all about, as there was no hype at that time. I simply bought it, installed it and played it and was blown away by it. It was one of such games you start playing and cant stop until you finish it. Really glad that i had not to work on that week then. Really i loved everything about this game, the story, the graphics, the gameplay, even the menu and lastly that great Soundtrack.
I dont listen to slower kind of music normally, but this soundtrack man - i really loved it.

So what is this game all about? Its that kind of game where your actions and decisions may change the fate of others. Normally such decisisions cannot be reverted, but in Life in Strange you can actually revert it - at least to some extent. But doing so, comes with a a price. That price is so intense and emotional and LIS lets you feel it. So i literaly cried for hours after i finished this game. Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.


Beyond Two Souls

In 2016, i found a trailer by accident while listening to movie/game soundtracks, while lying sick in bed.
That trailer was so fascinating, as it looked similar to Life is Strange, but more darker.
So i bought it for PS4, directly on the PSN store for ~40 Euros, which is really expensive for a download-only game.
I installed it, started it and that menu... that music... i instantly liked it. After watching the intro, i knew this was the game i was waiting for all those decades.

This game is similar to Life is Strange, but is so much darker and intense -> LIS in comparisons feels like a kindergarten. In Beyond Two Souls you cannot revert your decisions. Every decision you made, change the future - whether in a bad, neutral or in a good way. The core elements of that game are horror, violence, mystery and a ton of action. Its like playing a movie, but actually changing the movie - while sitting in a roller coaster. It has an extraordinary emotional soundtrack, very good visuals with good capture of character feelings and a really good story with multiple endings.

Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.
But its not for everyone -> Some people dont like it, because it is not really a game - but rather a interactive movie.
For me its the best game i ever have played, so i bought the soundtrack and the retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends. And yes i shed a lot of tears for that game as well.

So I guess for you the best video games comes to you by accident, and that sounds pretty awesome. I gonna see their gameplays just to know. Thanks for the comment! really interesting!

irreversible
irreversible

Four words: Spec Ops: The Line.

On top of that I'm going to say Unreal (the original game), because if you can spell imput with an m in your game and still have me take things seriously, then you doing something right. Followed by Monkey Island 2, System Shock 2 and Mass Effect 1+2.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.