Some questions about gameplay design.

Started by
4 comments, last by Tucker933 5 years, 2 months ago

I hope that I've picked the right section to post this series of questions in. This is for a class that I'm taking. What skill sets do you believe are most important for successful, fun and engaging gameplay design? In addition, what, in your opinion, are the most overlooked aspects of gameplay design?

(Insert Signature Here)

Advertisement

This is the right section. However, if the questions are homework or an exam or something that you are expected to do yourself, the forum does not allow such questions.

I think your specific questions are too broad to answer. Kind of like asking "what food makes a good meal?" It's impossible to give a good answer other than "it depends".

It's kind of impossible to rank critical skills by importance because when any of them is lacking, the game dies.

Vision
     If you don't know what game you're making, then neither do you know how to make it.

Coding
     Hopefully, its importance is self-explanatory.

Quality Assurance
     Extremely few people are the most accurate judges of their own work.

Communication
     Yes, this skill is so far in the back end that it doesn't translate directly into the game, but in collaborative efforts, it's quite vital.

Humility
     Unless you got it right the first time, you have to listen to player feedback in order for the final product to entertain and engage them (or, if you're a programmer, QA feedback).

There are plenty more necessary skills whose absence would cripple a game's ability to entertain, but hopefully, this list fragment gets the gist across.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Thank you for the responses. I know this question is difficult and somewhat open-ended. I wasn't given much to go on when assigned this work. I am supposed to perform a skill gap analysis on myself based on the development specialization that I chose. Part of the assignment is to post questions on gamedev forums to help me figure out what skill sets I have to improve. Funny part is, being a student with no real professional experience in the field, I have very limited knowledge of what such a position would entail outside of the vague job descriptions you find elsewhere. So I'm not precisely sure what to ask.

(Insert Signature Here)

Hopefully this has some what you're asking for: https://tucker933.com/balance/

All but the section on level design pertains to sandbox design (sometimes just called gameplay design). In general, it's a field responsible for the the mechanics of gameplay assets and their balance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement