Original Post
Ok, if you have the time, this is my question.
My engine is based on an Octree data structure. All polygons in my engine are triangles and they are inserted into the tree based on their center point. Currently, I am clipping every polygon in the tree to the Octree node bounding boxes. This seems to be a waste of time both in the construction of the tree and when rendering. Creating the tree causes the clipping of thousands of polygons, re triangulation of the clipped polygons and finally rendering of the additional polygons. I am toying with the idea of not clipping the polygons. Instead, if a polygon protrudes into another Octree node a link in that node back to the polygon in the node that actually contains the polygon. I would have to add a rendered flag to the polygons to make sure they don’t get rendered more than once, but I think this would be more efficient than my current method.
Does anyone have any comments / suggestions on this?