Useful sources for market data

Started by
4 comments, last by Attila_C 4 years, 11 months ago

Hello,

I was wondering which sources you use for research, to get current game market figures.
NewZoo is known for being extremely expensive so I guess not a lot of indies are using this.
What is your main go-to source?

Thanks!

Hammer Slammer
Attila Camdeviren

Advertisement

Almost all of those data services are expensive. Have you looked at App Annie or Grab Analytics? I don't know what they cost, just naming others.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi Tom, 

thanks for your reply, it's highly appreciated. 
May I as you what you use? I'm just curious about what people trust most and what is in your opinion a reliable source.
Thanks again and best regards,
Attila

Hammer Slammer
Attila Camdeviren

On 6/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, Attila_C said:

NewZoo is known for being extremely expensive

Looking at their published costs and what I see online, I disagree.

All the industry go-to sources I know of have prices that are covered by NDAs, but are generally thousands for the work. Think mid-4-figure or 5-figure depending on what you need and the type of research being done.

Remember you are paying professional workers for professional services.  Consider that even rates for professional plumbing or professional electrical work often starts at $100+ per hour, professional legal services are often $200+/hr, you're talking about professional marketing services and business data services, the cost is similar.

Market data takes a lot of time to put together, in addition to having built the network of contacts to have the data in the first place. 

Buying individual services and professional services is radically different from buying commodity goods and mass-market services. Generating all the data in the first place is expensive, and although the cost is shared between all reports it is still costly.  Further, they can't resell the individual reports multiple times to split the costs, so you're giving the entire cost for putting the report together by yourself. Paying $2000-$2500 for a single report like that is not unreasonable.

Hello @frob - thank you for your answer. I also agree with you - everything you say makes sense. I talk from a Startup point of view. For me, everything is expensive - even toilet paper. So I was just asking myself how everyone else is handling this part. But yes, I agree with you on what you say.

@Mullins26 Thank you very much for your answer.

Hammer Slammer
Attila Camdeviren

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement