Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Gameplay Programmer's Perspective #2

Started by TK7 Jul 23, 2019 at 4:22 PM 5 replies 4.4k views
Original Post
TK7
TK7

Hi again gamedev community,


I would like to get some more perspective from other gameplay programmers. When it comes to coding, I believe I know the fundamentals ( Data types, variable types, arrays, loops, pointers to some degree, functions, classes, and objects). Just when I think I have a good foundation to work with, I am then introduced to other things leaving me thinking I know nothing at all; it can be very overwhelming at times.

When it comes to programming, what coding knowledge must you have in your repertoire in order to be an efficient gameplay programmer?


Any advice is much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Will Finish This Soon....
Zakwayda
Zakwayda

When you say 'gameplay programming', are you talking about a specific area of game development, or just programming in general? (Your mention of data types, loops, etc. seems to suggest you might mean the latter.)

Also, what do you have in mind when you say 'efficient gameplay programmer'? That would seem to suggest you're talking about writing code quickly, but there may be other issues (such as correctness and robustness) that might be equally important. So, I'm wondering if 'efficient' is really the word you're looking for here.

Quote

Just when I think I have a good foundation to work with, I am then introduced to other things leaving me thinking I know nothing at all; it can be very overwhelming at times.

C++ in particular can be overwhelming in scope and complexity. In no way am I saying you shouldn't pursue C++, but keep in mind that there are many other languages you could pursue, either instead of (for now at least) or along with C++, many of which are orders of magnitude less complex than C++ and/or present fewer complexities and pitfalls.

Again, I'm not saying anything about what languages you should or shouldn't pursue. I'm just pointing out that there are many to choose from.

TK7
TK7
1
Advanced issues found
▲
5 minutes ago, Zakwayda said:

Also, what do you have in mind when you say 'efficient gameplay programmer'? That would seem to suggest you're talking about writing code quickly, but there may be other issues (such as correctness and robustness) that might be equally important. So, I'm wondering if 'efficient' is really the word you're looking for here.

In school, the only game engine we have only been able to use is Unreal Engine (it's required for every game course). An example I can come up with the right is using C++ in Unreal for programming gameplay functionality such as how doors open or close depending on the direction you are coming from; settings off triggered events; HUDs interaction (as well as info displayed); characters being able to pick up items. Those are a few I could think of.

Will Finish This Soon....
Tessellator
Tessellator

I've been programming games for nearly 20 years and let me tell you that feeling of knowing nothing doesn't go away :). There's always more to learn, which is also what makes it a brilliant field to be in.

Once you've experienced all the weird and exotic data structures out in the wild, the fundamentals you list are the basic blocks I return to time and again. You can get very far with simple data and basic arrays (or std::vectors). Once the you've experienced enough of the coding stuff, it's all the other knowledge that sits on top that becomes more important - managing lots of complex state, feel and latency if you're a gameplay programmer, lot of maths and GPU specifics if you're into rendering and just pain and suffering if networking is your thing ;).

T


DavinCreed
DavinCreed

You have to program. The best way to get better is to program a lot. Look at game mechanics that you really like, and develop them yourself. To save time, use free/cheap assets and focus on the gameplay. Don't worry about completing a whole game (unless that's something you want to do), just make little gameplay prototypes. Push yourself, start simple and get more and more complicated. And develop many different kinds of gameplay mechanics.

21 hours ago, TK7 said:

When it comes to programming, what coding knowledge must you have in your repertoire in order to be an efficient gameplay programmer?

The best skill, is being able to break down any task into manageable parts. And to complete it of course.

TK7
TK7
0
Advanced issues found
▲
1 hour ago, DavinCreed said:

To save time, use free/cheap assets and focus on the gameplay.

This has been my issue for several years now. I have been trying to work with programming and 3d model (maya and 3ds max), as well as trying to learn a little bit of animating and rigging. Thank you for this and I will do my best to only focus on the gameplay portion of development moving forward.

Will Finish This Soon....

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.