Most innovate games of the last decade?

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years ago

I am looking for titles of games (would most likely be indies) that are both innovative and not rated M so I can use them to show walkthroughs to my classes to critique. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Mods innovate games farther.

X3 with litcubes universe. Makes the game a space soon with every faction playing under similar rules the player has, then adds a player bot-like faction that starts with nothing and tries to grow like the player... Then adds another constrained faction that tries to take over the universe.

It really turns a normal space sim into a fully fledged space sim strategy survival game.

Supreme Commander forged alliance with "forged alliance forever". Overalls the game to add hundreds of valid strategies. Currently the rts with the largest amount of possible viable strategies.

Shores of hazeron. Literally too much to put on a post. Had everything no man's sky and star citizen have ever promised, then orders of magnitude more.

Factorio.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

1 hour ago, conq said:

Mods innovate games farther.

X3 with litcubes universe. Makes the game a space soon with every faction playing under similar rules the player has, then adds a player bot-like faction that starts with nothing and tries to grow like the player... Then adds another constrained faction that tries to take over the universe.

It really turns a normal space sim into a fully fledged space sim strategy survival game.

Supreme Commander forged alliance with "forged alliance forever". Overalls the game to add hundreds of valid strategies. Currently the rts with the largest amount of possible viable strategies.

These 2 I absolutely agree with excellent base games taking even further with community mods.. Hazeron I haven't played so I can't comment on it.

Ummm. Never heard of them. In the past I have featured Guacamelee, Kids and Cuphead.

GNOG! (and I rarely use exclamation points). I keep going back to it for insight on interfaces, feedback, and how to reduce text, tutorials as much as possible.

Very innovative mobile game: Monument Valley

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

33 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Very innovative mobile game: Monument Valley

That looks cool.

41 minutes ago, Mosker said:

GNOG! (and I rarely use exclamation points). I keep going back to it for insight on interfaces, feedback, and how to reduce text, tutorials as much as possible.

Object of the game?

1 minute ago, gameteacher said:

That looks cool.

Object of the game?

I should have clarified: it's really a series of puzzles. And part of the attraction is it's hard to articulate the goals except follow the feedback to reach the end of each level/item/screen. It's weird and trippy--even for a Double Fine game. If you don't want to buy sight unseen, just search the net for a video. 

1 hour ago, Mosker said:

I should have clarified: it's really a series of puzzles. And part of the attraction is it's hard to articulate the goals except follow the feedback to reach the end of each level/item/screen. It's weird and trippy--even for a Double Fine game. If you don't want to buy sight unseen, just search the net for a video. 

Should have also specified it needs to be a game that students will be able to comprehend in bits of a walkthrough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement