Do I need to find a lawyer from my state, or can they be from anywhere?

Started by
2 comments, last by CandleJack 4 years, 4 months ago

I saw the stickied post with some game attorneys, but what I'm wondering is if I need to find someone who is local to my state, or if that doesn't really matter. To provide some specific information, I believe the things I would need a lawyer for include copyright/trademarks, freelance contracts, music licensing, and based on my research I would want to establish an LLC.

Advertisement

Law varies by location.

Some of those legal tasks can be done by anyone with a bit of legal competency, or even yourself with some homework. Some require lawyers familiar with your local law, and some benefit from people with industry experience.

The basic business law can be handled by nearly any business lawyer, and in many states, with a visit to the nearest SBA offices you can even set up your business and get many questions answered without hiring anyone. An LLC is a common choice, they're typically easy with minimal requirements, but you'll need to make sure you follow your state's rules for them.

Much information can also be found online although you've got to find good resources for it. The government's requirements, for example, are all online these days, as are many do-it-yourself forms.

For other items you mentioned.... Copyright is easy to file, but expensive to defend. You won't need that until after you've created something. Trademarks are tricky to get right and worth the time for a business lawyer if you can actually create a strong mark. Trademark protections don't go into effect unless you've actually gone into trade, so when you're finishing of your work and are getting ready to start marketing it, you will want to talk it over with a lawyer. Freelance contracting is absolutely a thing for a local lawyer, since employment laws and local contract laws vary not just by state, but also by county and by city. Music licensing is probably just a freelance contract job, unless you want to get a license for an existing work, either way, that's also a local lawyer, preferably one who is familiar with the industry.

You didn't mention collaboration agreements, which are critical if you are working with a partner or two and intend to sell your product some day. There are templates online, but you really need a local lawyer who can explain the local variations and often come up with an even better version that what you find online. They ensure that one person (or the company) has the correct rights to allow the product to go to market or be sold or licensed or bought out. Without those correct agreements in place, if anyone leaves or dies or turns against the project in any way, it can be completely doomed. Those are best coming from someone with game industry experience, or barring that, with someone familiar with entertainment industry business law.

But with all that out of the way, most big cities have an SBA office, they can answer a lot of questions if you aren't finding the answers you need online.

Thanks. I'm not sure what collaboration agreements are, but I'm working on this game as a solo developer, utilizing a primary freelance artist, and a couple others who did some small pieces (a font and some UI elements), and also I had a few voice actors record some sound effects. The music I want to use is existing work, composed by an artist I found on YouTube who has a decent number of subscribers, but isn't really anybody famous.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement