Map location/activites in a rpg?

Started by
10 comments, last by DoomOperator 4 years, 3 months ago

Hi!

I make a party-based fantasy rpg. Sort of a fuse between battle brothers and darkest dungeon. The player controls a group of adventures, you move on a map. On the map I got so far:

• Towns. You can resupply, get quests, items, heal, recruit, etc
  • Dungeons. Main part of the game. Rooms, corridors, traps, fights, treasure.
  • Gathering “nodes” (mining, hunting, herbalism). Are spent once “used”.
  • Ambushes (not map locations but happens randomly when travelling on the map).

What else could be added? Some ideas:

• Lairs. Mini-dungeons (a single fight, then get a “treasure”)
  • Watchtowers, expores the map around them if the heroes climbs the tower
  • Travelling trader. Offers some unique items for sale?
  • Witches hut, offers buffs/items?
  • Moving groups (such as in mount & blade) thay you might want to interact with (attack, capture etc) depending on their strength.

Maybe i can look at random tables for travelling for D&D tabletop or something. Any good rersources? Or wait for the lovely forum dwellers for some sweet feedback? ?

Advertisement

Noone?

@suliman You could add secret rooms and hidden doors, Chests, You could have lamps which turn on and off. It's your imagination, i think if you want to get inspiration look at dungeon crawler games, or whatever suits your style. ?

@doomoperator Im asking for map content / locations to visit or come across, not dungeon content.

@suliman Oh in that case, Waterfalls are nice, hidden cities in jungles, caves, horror houses, Cemeteries, Secret science labs, lakes, floating cities, haha i can't think of much more at this moment. I hope this helps.

@DoomOperator You could make an Arena, which is like a horde mode or multiplayer mode, Arena's can be fun when done well.

Small random quests

Thanks for your input!

@doomoperator there is no multiplayer. Would do you mean with horde mode? Endless wave defence? The game may be a little too tactical and slow for that.

Gameplay / actions you can do/ challanges are more important than simply scenery, but i realise I wasnt totally clear this is what I was looking for. Any more ideas are welcomed! ?

suliman said:
there is no multiplayer. Would do you mean with horde mode? Endless wave defence? The game may be a little too tactical and slow for that.

I'm not sure what sort of game your making RPG, FPS, Adventure, Strategy, so on. If you can give me the “Skinny of Your game” this would help me come up with some more creative ideas for you @suliman

for example i am currently working on a RPG, 3PS, Strategy, Magic game, with creature summoning and commanding elements, some adventure and puzzle elements too. ← if you can construct for me something like this i can see what i can do. I'm quite creative so this sort of thing isn't hard for me ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement