Crowdfunding a MOBA game

Started by
2 comments, last by rogerdv 4 years, 3 months ago

A few months ago a friend proposed me to work in a MOBA like game, with some interesting and original ideas. Yet, we greatly overstimated the capability of cuban government institutions to cooperate with private developers: they just can offer to keep the project and the profit for themselves and pay us an average salary. So, my friend decided to go for Kickstarter, but I think that is not a good idead. For start, I dont think that a MOBA project is going to have too much success in Kickstarter, why to pay for something that is going to be mostly free, anyway? How to reward donnors? Also, I have no idea how much takes making a MOBA profitable, but guess it is not going to be less than a year, meanwhile, a lot of money has to be spent in infraestructure. Profitability would require implementing some sort of store, which brings new issues like transaction security.

What do you think about this?

Advertisement

I think that the U.S. still has a trade embargo with Cuba, which means that if you are in Cuba, it's unlikely that you'll even have the option of using Kickstarter. And I think that getting paid an average salary while working on one's dream project sounds like a good deal. I fully understand not wanting to give up creative control and IP ownership, but the only way to remain in total control is to finance the whole game out of your own pocket.

As for Kickstarter rewards - if you are planning on making money through some sort of in-app purchases, then you can give those purchases away as rewards to backers. If you sell, for example, custom hats for the in-game characters, then you can even create special hats that are only available to Kickstarter backers.

Of course, we plan to use a proxy outside the country, to deal with those issues. Let me clear whats an average salary in Cuba: depending on the situation, it barely covers food. No clothes, no holidays, no dates. meanwhile, the government makes a lot with the game. I know because Coliseum, a game for mobiles, amde about 45000 USD in a year, and the developers got nothing but a salary, and some of them even less, as they are still students.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement