Best OpenGL Tutorial/Book which explains all the small Details!

Started by
2 comments, last by Alberth 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably this was asked a lot of times before, but I need to tell you exactly what I want using an example.

I'm learning openGL a while now, but I've noticed that almost all the tutorials out there even paid ones from Udemy, are missing some really important details which If you don't know, your OpenGL code can be seriously buggy especially among different GPU's and drivers.

When I was learning about uploding textures to the GPU, almost nobody would explain how an image works, what channels are and most importantly nobody explained how to pass into the driver the correct channel input based on the number of channels of your source and why your texture's dimensions must be a power of 2 in order for your img source to be proccessed correctly by the driver.

With the help of gamedev.net it took me almost a year to understand what the following is: https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Common_Mistakes#Texture_upload_and_pixel_reads (I still don't really understand it but I know that if I make sure my texture's dimensions are a power of 2, I won't have any problems.)

There must be a book or something that explains everything you need to know about OpenGL.

Thank you.

void life()
{
  while (!succeed())
    try_again();

die_happily();
}

Advertisement

Text Tutorials:

Video tutorial made by ThinMatrix (Karl): OpenGL 3D Game Tutorials

I like this book like a very easy introduction to shader OpenGL: WebGL Programming Guide

babaliaris said:
There must be a book or something that explains everything you need to know about OpenGL.

There is, at least theoretically. The one and only book telling the truth is the OpenGL standard specification by the Kronos group. That's what everybody is implementing in their hardware and drivers.

The only problem is that it's very generic, to give manufacturers some room for different designs. It's also highly technical and dense, no easy reading ?�While I do use that reference for finding the available functions, I have yet to understand all the much finer detailsssThat won't happen in the near future.

While the above standard is a big part of what OpenGL is about, each manufacturer adds their own flavours to it, and possibly their own extensions. Thus if you make assumptions on what video card is available, the notes of its manufacturer are also valid in your setup.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement