How should I build my ground in Unreal Engine 4?

Started by
6 comments, last by Enzio599 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm making a small map for me to mess around with and learn the basics of Unreal Engine 4. I know how to make models and how to texture them, import them, export them etc, but I am confused as to how I should make my floors or the ground for my virtual world?

Should I either…
1) Make tiles in blender and texture them as stone brick, then piece them together as a ground inside Unreal Engine?
2) Use the landscape tool inside Unreal Engine 4 and paint stone brick onto the ground?

Which one is most efficient in terms of performance, and also which one would produce higher quality results? Is there a different way I should be doing this all together? I apologize if this is a dumb question as I am new to all of this but I'm liking what I've seen in Game Development so far ?

PS: Also if this is the wrong place to ask then I am sorry, this place was recommended to me and so I am new here too! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

DustyWarlock said:
if this is the wrong place to ask then I am sorry, this place was recommended to me and so I am new here too!

Right website, but wrong forum. Your question is not about Game Design, so it's been moved to the correct forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you ?

Just depends on what your end goal is. Tiled materials are really simple to do, but might not be able to achieve really sophisticated results. Landscape tool is nice as well, with good blended materials you can achieve very nice looking areas. For more complex stuff though, especially if you want to paint your own meshes, look into Vertex Painting.

All are good options, each with varied results.

I'd approach from a different perspective, though. Instead of asking what the engine is capable of, ask what you are capable of. Build the game you're able to make. If one seems better for you and your game, use it. Otherwise, do whichever is easier so you can stop making terrain and start making a fun game.

I'm trying really hard to figure out Dungeon Architect on Unreal, but the tutorials by Ali Akbar are not the best. For starters you can BARELY hear him like half the time in his video tutorials, and other times it looks like the tutorials are for a different version that what you have meaning you gotta look all over the place to find where you can click on what he clicked on to get to where he was at.

@Moonrook Yes seems like landscape tool is best way to go. Usually I paint onto blender assets before I export to Unreal Engine 4. For complex textures I will download Substance Painter trial when the scene is ready!

Guess I will work on improving my use of landscape tool! Thank you everyone ?

you can even model a single map layout of ground and texture it in blender and just import it into engine as a static mesh and other map elements like buildings, shops and small shop counter can be a separate static mesh

… most of the simple demos of Unreal Engine that comes with it just like that only.

A bigger game map which features geographical regions like riverside, island or a rocky terrain… you might be better of with landscape tool of engine.

caves of some sort can get away with a single static mesh with a simple collision mesh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement