Next GameDev Challenge?

Started by
21 comments, last by khawk 4 years ago

Thoughts on the next GameDev Challenge? With COVID-19 impacting everyone around the world, it seems like we could use a positive gamedev challenge focused on positive, lighthearted themes.

A few theme ideas:

• Side-Scrolling, Princess-Saving Platformer
  • COVID-19 Punchout!
  • Flappy Fish

Thoughts? Other theme ideas?

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

Some random ideas:

Escapism would be cool, generally. Like something very far away from the current world.

What about something that allows us to be social, seeing as we are all observing social distancing?

Just random thoughts from my mind.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

deltaKshatriya said:
What about something that allows us to be social, seeing as we are all observing social distancing?

This is an interesting idea. Multiplayer? Maybe a social network integration? Discord integration? Or a gameplay element that requires in-game social activity?

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:
This is an interesting idea. Multiplayer? Maybe a social network integration? Discord integration? Or a gameplay element that requires in-game social activity?

I'd go further and say coop/multiplayer with some social features (at least chat, or as you said Discord integration) - without specifying the exact genre.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

khawk said:

deltaKshatriya said:

I think a broad, generic focus on multiplayer and encouraging us to be social with one another, in a fun, creative way.

Multiplayer and social/chat elements are cool ideas. I like where it's going.

It's only been a day, but are there any other opinions from anyone else? If not we can get this going in the coming days.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is this gamedev challenge leaning towards making a peer to peer game?

Programmer and 3D Artist

Rutin said:

Is this gamedev challenge leaning towards making a peer to peer game?

Maybe that would be an option? Or some variation of multiplayer?

Admin for GameDev.net.

I generally feel like the focus should be to be social, in creative and inventive ways. So whatever that generally means to you!

I think this will need to involve multiplayer in some form, but it doesn’t need to be super complex. It could be as simple as just having a chat client open in your own phone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement