Suddenly receiving e-mail notifications for everything

Started by
8 comments, last by khawk 3 years, 10 months ago

After making a recent post in the graphics forum, I've been receiving e-mail notifications seemingly for unrelated topics/threads being updated. These always arrive with the subject “poster replied to Welcome”, with poster being the actual user name of the poster.

I tried going into my preferences, turned off everything, saved, logged out, logged back in, turned on notifications, but I still seem to be getting spammed with these. Obviously, something has gone awry. Any ideas on how I can get this to stop?

Advertisement

For further information…the last one I received had the following content…note that both the “Welcome” link and the “Read more” link go to the locked, archived Welcome thread.

Hi SBD,

Nestor2409 replied to Welcome

Do you think that a project aiming at the conception of a game of the clash royale genre from the supercell studio can be realized?

Read more

Same issue here

_WeirdCat_ said:
Same issue here

Didn't solve the problem? I have the same thing and I don't know what to do with it.

None

Odd. I'll check the logs.

But apologies.. I know nobody wants unwelcome emails (to a Welcome thread of all things).

I assume email notifications for topics you're involved with are working fine?

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:

I assume email notifications for topics you're involved with are working fine?

Appears so, I got the notification for this thread and all the links contained therein were correct (linked to this thread).

It appears this may have gotten resolved. I haven't received any spurious e-mails or notifications for 8 hours or so.

Other forums simply disable notifications for a thread until it has actively been viewed or someone mentioned you. This would be fully automatic and enough to stop spam from derailed threads.

Just for your information (admins): I am close to closing my GameDev account because users are being followed by the bugs in their mailboxes. The same happened to many other forums in the past, so you're running out of time unless you roll back the old site that worked.

Dawoodoz said:
Other forums simply disable notifications for a thread until it has actively been viewed or someone mentioned you. This would be fully automatic and enough to stop spam from derailed threads.

That's something that can be looked at. For now, there's a Follow/Unfollow button.

Dawoodoz said:
because users are being followed by the bugs in their mailboxes

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you provide more information over email (support@gamedev.net)?

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement