Questions about like Brawlers Online games.

Started by
1 comment, last by hplus0603 3 years, 11 months ago

I have some initial questions for a game like Brawl Stars for example.

• Brawl Stars for example, is it not necessary to worry about physics, right? It is an online action game, but apparently "simple", there are no physical interactions in the game I think.
  • FPS and other types of games are obviously more complex, but for games like Brawl Stars, which types of techniques are most recommended to be used and have smooth gameplay?
    • Lockstep or Predicted or other technique?
    • Which is better way to sync time/tick between client and server for this type of game? Is it necessary to be so precise? I's necessary to be time (float) or tick (int/long)? What is the ideal send rate to sync? Is 1 packet for a second is a bad idea for this type of game?
    • What other techniques are recommended and/or can be used in Brawl Stars (interpolation, extrapolation, reconcilation and etc)?
    • Thinking of using UDP but with support for reliable and unrealible, would the recommendation for sending time/tick sync and character movements be realiable or unrealible?
    • Valve explains about lag compensation, but it is used as an example for an FPS, can it be useful for a game like Brawl Stars?
    • For this type of game do I need to run the server at 45/60 fps? Because there is no physics and probably the fps of the client does not need to be fixed (can be like 30, 45, 60, 120, 240). I am wrong?
    • This type of game I need to worry with fixed point math?
  • Are there any recommendations for articles / books / projects for dummies? I know Valve, but I don't think it's so explanatory and with some kind of code example.
  • Last question, is hplus0603 some kind of God? He has so many answers/solutions to various problems.

I hope someone can answer my questions, I will be forever grateful and will be a light at the end of the tunnel. ?

Thanks,

Regards.

Advertisement

Ha! I have the benefit of having entered the computer industry at a very dynamic time, right before the Internet really took off.

My background is quite checkered:

But my main competitive advantage is simply “time served” plus making sure to pay attention to what's going on. Experience counts for something :-)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement