New forum is complete garbage

Started by
21 comments, last by Rutin 3 years, 11 months ago

khawk said:
It was noticed. You want automatic code formatting for pasted code blocks.. which unless someone wants to point me to a way to some code to do this will take time to figure out. If anyone is feeling altruistic, specifically we will need CKEditor5 Javascript plugin code that converts a paste operation to a code block if it's identified as code.

Is this also the reason for the garbage that is pasted when I copy code from the forums? See my post above. I mean if thats it, then I'll just manually add code-blocks and paste into that, but if thats a different issue I would appreciate it being fixed ?

Advertisement

Juliean said:
Is this also the reason for the garbage that is pasted when I copy code from the forums?

I'm actually not sure what that is. I've been able to copy and paste code from the site back into VS Code and VS 2019 without issue.

Another option is to paste the code in the editor, then highlight the code and select the code block in the toolbar. Either will work.

Or.. use the markdown formatting before pasting with 3 `'s (i.e. “ ``` ”).

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:

Juliean said:
Is this also the reason for the garbage that is pasted when I copy code from the forums?

I'm actually not sure what that is. I've been able to copy and paste code from the site back into VS Code and VS 2019 without issue.

That only happens when I copy code form the forums and paste it directly back into the editor. Pasting into VS seems to work.

Here's a short clip of exactly whats happening: https://gyazo.com/51275f177205f8e2b57660a5f4b58f5c

Hope that clears it up, and makes you able to reproduce it.

@khawk: there is no popup and i have never seen that before. I don't have the feeling you guys know what you're doing and I completely understand that people are annoyed by the tinkering that lasts quite some time now.

Changing quotes of users is more than just bad habit, it's dragging their posts down into the general dumbing down of the web and this site. You're not taking people serious, which i can partly understand in here, but not with me. What would you say if i quoted you, adding some arbitrary and completely unrelated ad in the quote ? Would you still think i'm serious ? I'd expect inline ads on facebook and twitter (I'm on neither), but not in a gamedev forum, at least not in the technical part. And, I must say, there's simply not enough content in here these days to rectify that.

If you're so desperately in need of the extra bucks from ads, maybe we can pass a hat around ? (GDNet+ can pass it on ;-)). Anyway, the forum is not that important, and i feel repelled.

Can I delete my account ? What happens to my E-mail address afterwards ? I haven't used an extra one because I expected seriousness in here.

Green_Baron said:
there is no popup and i have never seen that before.

I'm really not sure what to say. Those links have been around since 2017/2018, and I'm sorry you haven't seen it before and are repulsed by it. I did miss with the new design where the popup wasn't working, but that was recently fixed. The link ads are run by skimlinks, and they don't appear on every page since they're contextual ad links. At various times I've considered taking them down. They are a fairly unreliable source of income.

Green_Baron said:
You're not taking people serious….<snip>

I'm sorry you feel this way.

Green_Baron said:
If you're so desperately in need of the extra bucks from ads

Unfortunately GameDev.net needs to run ads. I regularly review the effectiveness of ads and whether they are worth the impact to the site's experience. I'll review skimlinks because of this discussion. I'm daily reviewing the auto-ad placements from Google (the display ads) that either break layout or inject into content, neither of which I want to see. It's taking time to train, and I'm considering options in parallel.

Green_Baron said:
Can I delete my account ? What happens to my E-mail address afterwards ? I haven't used an extra one because I expected seriousness in here.

Right now you can deactivate your account through a support@ email. It's on my list to add this to the account settings. When accounts are deactivated, flags are changed in the database to disable your account, hide your profile, etc, and your account will be locked and unavailable for future login. Not sure about the email question, but emails are not used or sold. They are only used for verification, notifications, and newsletters if you're signed up.

Admin for GameDev.net.

@khawk I just wanted to add that I appreciate the work you're putting into the site. There are some issues but I'm sure it will all get fixed within time. It shouldn't be enough of course for anyone to leave the community as being on GameDev is more about the great community here and not a few bugs and issues with how the forum works. Back in the early 2000s we didn't even have those features on this forum and it did fine. I understand a lot of people might be more accustomed to how things were before and when things don't work the same way they get frustrated as it feels like a step back.

Programmer and 3D Artist

@khawk One of the reasons you probably don't see adds in middle of posts is that we are all mostly using GDNet+ (I don't see any ads when logged in, but when I visited site today without ad blocking software I agree - ads in middle of posts can be confusing … it is probably based on what person searched for in past, etc.)

When this happens on beginning/end it is I guess acceptable, when in middle of post as following - https://imgur.com/a/Jc52HT6​ - it can be confusing (especially if you get something software related). Still better than getting adult movies ads (although at least it would solve a problem with confusion what is post and what isn't).

I have mainly seen some minor bugs, like you can get to post blog post through your profile (you have to get there through Blogs though). I personally didn't care, as long as I could get easily around it.

Contrary to the opinion here I do like the new forums more than old ones, they seem to be much faster. Design had changed a little bit, but it is still somewhat familiar. There are bugs, but as I have worked in website business in past (and still have to fix/improve something now and then) - I do know that they will keep popping out. And truth to be told (and from experience at work in the past) - switching to Angular/React won't save you from never ending list of fixes. I appreciate the work done here, I'm actually quite surprised by the quality of the site when written pretty much by single person.

Note.: I assume you still work on the source mainly yourself. Out of curiosity - there are no full time website employees at GameDev.net, right?

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Rutin said:
I just wanted to add that I appreciate the work you're putting into the site.

Thanks @rutin. Appreciate it.

Vilem Otte said:
One of the reasons you probably don't see adds in middle of posts is that we are all mostly using GDNet+

I do see them since I don't enable GDNet+ on my account (so I can see the platform the same as the vast majority of users), but the frequency varies. When I see a post with an auto-placed ad in it I use the Adchoices to submit feedback about it breaking layout, which is basically like feeding input back into Google's ML ad engine for auto-ad placement. Ideally those ads are at most in between posts so they are obvious ads. I'm not sure why Google Adsense engineers think ads in content is a good idea. I'm also going to review the HTML structure to see if there is some way to better inform the ad engine to leave certain areas alone.

Vilem Otte said:
like you can get to post blog post through your profile (you have to get there through Blogs though).

Definitely want to improve anything we can to make it easier to navigate. I will own up to my UX shortcomings. ?

Vilem Otte said:
Contrary to the opinion here I do like the new forums more than old ones, they seem to be much faster.

A LOT of time has been put into performance in order to reduce server requirements - and therefore costs and amount of ads that need to be shown. Still a few areas need improvement but in general it's a much more lightweight system than the previous.

Vilem Otte said:
Note.: I assume you still work on the source mainly yourself. Out of curiosity - there are no full time website employees at GameDev.net, right?

Yes, I work on the the platform myself at the moment. I've been (slowly) revamping the source so it can be shared and worked on more easily by more people. Mostly taking out shortcuts and other hacks I have for local dev. It's just taking time. Almost there.. just a few more things to figure out.

There are no full time GameDev.net employees. GameDev.net is something I do in my “extra” time. Moderators vary in level of activity. Links to my work outside GDNet here and here.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Other forums are ad free using monthly donor systems and much more robust using DHTML. Senior developers are already migrating away from Gamedev, leaving remaining topics more focused on game makers than learning useful school subjects like math and programming.

Dawoodoz said:
Senior developers are already migrating away from Gamedev, leaving remaining topics more focused on game makers than learning useful school subjects like math and programming.

I'm not sure what you mean because I don't see a lot of posts on here regarding “Game Makers”. How do you define a “Game Maker”?

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement