New forum is complete garbage

Started by
21 comments, last by Rutin 3 years, 11 months ago

Rutin said:

Dawoodoz said:
Senior developers are already migrating away from Gamedev, leaving remaining topics more focused on game makers than learning useful school subjects like math and programming.

I'm not sure what you mean because I don't see a lot of posts on here regarding “Game Makers”. How do you define a “Game Maker”?

Mostly Unity and Unreal Engine.

Advertisement

@dawoodoz I have a general feel that lost of people have migrated to Unity, Unreal Engine and others around most of the places. This is not just the problem of GameDev.net, but a development all around the world (even large companies like Bohemia Interactive has migrated from their own engine towards Unity … I'd suspect the costs being smaller).

One example to rule them all: with new D3D12 and Vulkan having very steep learning curve and being much much less accessible for hobbyists (but much much more efficient), the shift in graphics programming has happened (over half of the people I knew who were tinkering with OpenGL back then, are now using solely Unity or other engine to do similar things like graphics demos, etc.) … from their point of view D3D12 is “way too complicated”.

I wouldn't be so fast with considering everyone a “Game Maker” though, just now on homepage I see there is ONE topic about Unity, multiple about C++ and other languages, and some looking for posts.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Dawoodoz said:

Rutin said:

Dawoodoz said:
Senior developers are already migrating away from Gamedev, leaving remaining topics more focused on game makers than learning useful school subjects like math and programming.

I'm not sure what you mean because I don't see a lot of posts on here regarding “Game Makers”. How do you define a “Game Maker”?

Mostly Unity and Unreal Engine.

Unity and Unreal still require math and programming knowledge. How far that goes depends on what is being done within the engine. Sure, a lot of the fundamental systems are developed for you, but it doesn't mean you can just load up the engine and in a few clicks quality games are pumping out. Not everyone here is using “templates”, pre-made scripts, add-ons, and other “asset flip” nonsense.

Aside from competency in math and programming, game development itself spans several disciplines.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement