TikTok

Started by
17 comments, last by frob 3 years, 11 months ago

Hi,

someone who is supposed to advice me on marketing suggested that I use TikTok to promote my game by telling a story about the development (6 years, bla bla). Does anyone know if PC gamers even use TikTok? I feel like that's just mostly mobile gamers and users without a gaming background but I could be wrong. I mean, it's an exclusively mobile platform, videos are in portrait mode, …

They also suggested to set up a gofundme page and once I reach a certain donation goal (maybe 500 dollars) my game would be free for a year.

Is it just me or is this actually bad advice?

Advertisement

Hi Beosar, you asked two completely different questions, and your second question is actually two questions.

1. TikTok is a video platform like YouTube. If you use YouTube to market your game, why not also market it on TikTok. You should market on multiple sites (don't hang everything on just one hook). You expressed doubts that PC gamers use TikTok in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile, implying that your game is a PC game, not a mobile game. I'm betting that the majority of PC gamers have mobile phones. If you want statistics to support this decision, your advisor is the person to ask (he/she is making recommendations, so he/she needs to back them up).

2. GoFundMe - your advisor suggested you obtain funding through GoFundMe rather than Kickstarter (or any other crowdfunding site, or any other rundraising method). Has your advisor provided any statistics to make the case to use the one site rather than any other?

3. Free for a year for donors - implies that your planned monetization method is subscription. If so, a free (but capped) subscription seems like a reasonable incentive for donations. You can alter the amount, and you can alter the length of the freebie.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:

3. Free for a year for donors - implies that your planned monetization method is subscription. If so, a free (but capped) subscription seems like a reasonable incentive for donations. You can alter the amount, and you can alter the length of the freebie.

He actually suggested to make it free for everyone, not just donors. So I would get almost no sales for a year. Same situation as now but with more effort and I would potentially lose sales because people would have bought the game.

TikTok is indeed a video platform but videos are usually 15 seconds, not enough time to tell a story about a game.

Gaming is a big thing on YouTube, in contrast to music and dance on TikTok (even the icon is a note).

I haven't even seen a description for the videos on TikTok, I guess very few people would even see a link if I put it there. On YouTube I could at least tell people to look in the description, on TikTik that's 20% of the video just to mention the link…

Is it really worth my time producing videos for TikTok when I could instead focus on YouTube (and game development)?

Beosar said:
Is it really worth my time producing videos for TikTok when I could instead focus on YouTube (and game development)?

I'm pretty sure you already answered your own question. ?

Maybe you should fire that advisor and find another.

Tom Sloper said:

Maybe you should fire that advisor and find another.

It's funded by the government so I have no choice anymore - but it's free so I don't care much. I got 3 advisors to choose from and the others ones had no experience either. One suggested to find a job in the gaming industry first to get some experience. Not the worst advice but I knew that already and have thought about it for a long time. The other one was honest and said he couldn't help me. And the third one is the one who suggested TikTok.

Beosar said:
He actually suggested to make it free for everyone, not just donors. So I would get almost no sales for a year.

So the game is going to be free for the first year, and then you're going to charge people to play it after one year being free…?

Programmer and 3D Artist

Rutin said:

Beosar said:
He actually suggested to make it free for everyone, not just donors. So I would get almost no sales for a year.

So the game is going to be free for the first year, and then you're going to charge people to play it after one year being free…?

Yes, that was his idea.

Beosar said:

Rutin said:

Beosar said:

Yes, that was his idea.

How are you going to make money from the game after one year? Is there going to be micro-transactions, or will you sell the game for a fixed price, or is there a monthly subscription?

Programmer and 3D Artist

It's obvious that Beosar's advisor was just throwing ideas out there, probably with little knowledge of video game marketing. Clearly that idea isn't workable. That and the TikTok idea have been tossed out. We're left with the unresolved matter of GoFundMe versus any other source of funding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement