How to prevent my new employer from stealing my IP

Started by
17 comments, last by Vilem Otte 3 years, 8 months ago

While not a lawyer, this has been common practice in various industries for a long time and I've dealt with them in every contract. The key bit is dependent on the state in which the contract is enforced, many states have laws specifically which prevent “hobby and off work" IP transfer. So, for instance, in California, there are strong rights for the employee which make the “broad” assignment of IP rights non-enforceable. Even without strong laws, it is very state dependent and you should look into local case laws. As an example, check out: https://www.robinskaplan.com/resources/publications/2015/09/five-tips-for-transfer-of-ip-rights-from-employees-to-employers​ which is more in regards to the employer side of things but does explain quite a few of the details you need to understand.

The key items: you do it on your own time, it does not depend on knowledge you could get only via work and is never stored on/developed on company hardware (aka, never use the work laptop for instance). Having had to fight these in the past, the clauses are mostly boiler plate and as long as you are careful, unenforceable in many states. Again though, look at state laws regarding “ip transfer” and various rulings involving them for your state, it may be simple like CA or more complicated based on the rulings and laws.

All said and done, if this is a concern, always talk to a lawyer, $1k now could be worth a heck of a lot later.

Advertisement

Altrue said:

totesmagotes said:

In the contract they gave me, it says that they own any Intellectual Property I come up with during the course of my employment, even if it's in my off hours.

Serious question, is this even legal? If yes, is it legal-legal? So, would it hold against a judge?

In many states in the US, that is totally enforcible. The theory being that you have access to trade secrets of the business, and can't really “shut off” knowing about those when you're not in the office. Those US states also tend to allow enforcement of non-compete agreements, that say you can't work for a competitor (either listed or in same industry) within so much time of leaving the first company.

Obviously, those are terrible conditions for any knowledge worker, and you should not feel afraid to push back on the worst of those clauses. Or just move to California.

It turns out, California has made it explicitly unenforcible (can't really say “illegal” because this is a civil matter.) You are allowed to perform your trade even after leaving a competitor – non-competes are viewed as forbidding someone from actually doing the job they are trained for, which is viewed as a bad thing on the Left Coast. Similarly, California explicitly grants the IP of side projects, done off company hours, using no company resources, to the employee, not the employer. Most attempts to assert ownership over that by an employer would be thrown out of court before it even got to trial. (There are still some areas around “trade secrets” where you have to tread carefully, so check with a lawyer if you want a better view of it.)

Mysteriously, California business has not shriveled away and died off – instead, many economists credit this policy with having helped create the economic powerhouse of creativity that it is.

So, if you're not in California, you should first check what your state/country thinks about these clauses, and if they are enforcible, push back against it. They may say “this is standard for everyone,” to which you will counter “will I be given insight into everyones compensation and employment agrements to verify this, or is that just what you say?” Employment agreements may start out as “standard” but they are totally always negotiable. That's why they're not published on the company's website for all to see – they absolutely vary by candidate and employee. At a minimum, you can suggest that California companies do great without this clause, so it can't be the end of the world to drop it from your employment agreement.

I wish I had learned these things (and this negotiation tactic) much earlier in my career, but it is what it is. Of course, they can say “well, this position is pretty junior, so we don't need YOU specifically, so take it or leave it,” at which point you have to have a think about what you really want to do. Moving to California as an option? :-D

Oh, another little-known fact: It's explicitly illegal in the US, by US Federal law, for a company to have a policy that employees cannot discuss their compensation and working conditions with each other. A company may not in any way discriminate or retaliate against employees that do this. This is because labor unions couldn't work without this kind of discussion. The company may not like that this is the law, but it is. (Companies also don't like that it's the law that you can't spew too much poison into the air or water, but, you know, the law is there for a reason!)

(Trying to forestall political discussions, that should go into some other forum: I may sound like an ultra-liberal leftist here, but I'm really not. Corporations are an efficient way of arranging work and risk, free markets de-centralize a bunch of decisions that are better made be individuals than by bureaucrats, and capitalism is the least ineffective way of allocating resources in a way that can be productive for society that we're aware of. As long as we end up managing the external forces (externalities) that keep pushing those concepts into caricatures that end up being bad for We the people, rather than good. Managed Capitalism, if you will :-))

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Also note: There was a pretty big non-compete type lawsuit with Mattel vs Bratz for their doll toy line if you want to look up. It had a couple ruling reversal's and such.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Thanks for all the great answers! That was very informative ?

hplus0603 said:
It turns out, California has made it explicitly unenforcible (can't really say “illegal” because this is a civil matter.) You are allowed to perform your trade even after leaving a competitor – non-competes are viewed as forbidding someone from actually doing the job they are trained for, which is viewed as a bad thing on the Left Coast. Similarly, California explicitly grants the IP of side projects, done off company hours, using no company resources, to the employee, not the employer.

This is stated in an over broad manner. The clause is enforceable because it is required by the company to protect itself, it is simply limited to exclude non work related IP. There is good reason for these things to exist and why they exist in every contract you are likely to sign. The core reason is very simple, IP belongs to the individual at time of creation, ie. as you are writing it you own it. So, if the contracts are not work for hire, don't call out everything you work on explicitly etc, you could quit one day and sue the next day for IP infringement if these clauses did not transfer the IP to the company as a result of your employment.

So, as to negotiation with a company, you are highly unlikely to strike these clauses completely from contracts. You can generally get limits put in or prior IP exhibits where you can list things you will not transfer to the company. More than limits and exceptions though, that's pretty unlikely.

Such clauses are illegal in California.

It's part of why Silicon Valley startup culture doesn't work in many other places.

And the other part of it, regardless of being enforceable or not — there is a cost involved.

The company must decide if it is worth the cost to attempt to enforce the policy. Are they willing to spend $50,000 or more on it?

You must decide if it is worth the cost to fight in the courts. Are you able to spend $50K, 100K, or more on it? Or are you in some sort of unicorn situation to find a law firm willing to represent you pro bono?

There are breaches of agreements all the time. Most aren't noticed. The ones that are noticed generally aren't worth the time and effort of enforcement. Even the ones that are challenged in courts generally aren't worth the time and effort spent.

The cases where companies attempt to enforce it are when the person had a breakaway success, bringing in many million dollars, and the company decides it is worth the gamble. They risk a black eye in public relations, paying costs for both sides, in the hopes of taking whatever money you haven't already spent from your successful product. There needs to be a big pile of cash before they'll bother. If you win the game development lottery, there is a chance they'll bother.

Yeah its just blanket clauses thrown into a catch all ass covering contract.

They don't want you stealing their stuff, but I doubt they would try and claim your next version of angry birds when it makes its first million - unless you happen to have been getting paid to work on angry birds and the graphics look very similar…..

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Altrue said:
Serious question, is this even legal? If yes, is it legal-legal? So, would it hold against a judge?

Depending on the country.

In my country this is completely illegal, the only IP company can claim is over the work done during working hours of the employee. Additionally it also has to be done on company's hardware with their software (There is a grey zone in this which can be covered in another contract - yet employer is then obliged to cover your expenses/part of expenses for using your own resources … this may become huge mess when home office was somewhat enforced back in March when nobody was really prepared for it).

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement