I feel like this character I made need something. I'm just not sure what.

Started by
10 comments, last by -Stu- 3 years, 10 months ago

None

Advertisement

I meant to put “needs” instead of “need”. I guess I can't fix it so I'm just explaining the improper grammar.

None

Your character could be fine, depending on your purposes. I mean, depending on the platform, the genre, the intended audience, the POV. My only comment (without knowing the genre, platform, audience, or POV) is that it seems to me that the tail should be wider than one pixel.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you for the feedback! I plan on making a platformer with combat similar to the Castlevania series. I'll try making the tail a little bigger and see how that looks.

None

Agree about the tail, and i thought similar about the eyes. First i thought the cheeks would be the eyes. Only after staring longer i noticed those strange black slits are meant to be eyes : )

Edit: Making the cheek lines lighter so contrast to skin is small would do as well. (I guess not many would share my confusion here at all)

Old Sprite
New Sprite (I made the tail 2 pixels wide instead of 1 and lightened the cheek and eye color.)

None

Cheeks still grab more attention than eyes, so i made them even lighter:

That's much better for me, now my focus jumps on the eyes first.

Not sure about the tail. The thicker line is not equally thick everywhere which is bad and looks noob. It's a typical pixel art limitation and i lack experience so can't help, but now i think the thin tail from initial image is better.

To judge this it is important to have enough empty space around the image, which also matter for presentation of your work. I use dark color theme for the forum, so the surrounding of the image is very dark and this causes irritation with the tail because it is at the edge. Make sure to give your good work a proper ‘frame’ before you show it to others. ; )

My brain is having problems making out those single pixel lines to be eyes too. It can't really decide whether they are outlines or shapes. They are also quite tall, which then makes you confusedly search for the focal point. I think they're just one tad too far away from inducing pareidolia.

Cute character nevertheless ?

Here's another version with smoother blush and a 1 pixel wide tail. I think the 1 pixel tail looks better since the rest of the lining is also 1 pixel. It doesn't look as out of place.

None

Kind Regards

-Stu-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement