Tuning TCP: Should I not be using SDL_Net?

Started by
5 comments, last by hplus0603 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm building the networking for an MMO engine and am working on tuning the TCP performance. In wireshark, I've been seeing slowdown scenarios like this:

T=0ms: Client sends 29 packets with len=500
(sends are accumulating)
T=54ms: Client receives acks for all 29
T=54ms+: Client starts sending again with len=1460

There's 2 things going on here:

1. It seems like the send buffer is getting full (I can send just about 16kb before it starts waiting).
  2. Messages are being packed into max-MTU packets if there's multiple messages available (I static-compiled SDL_Net with TCP_NoDelay to make sure Nagle's was disabled.)

I don't care much about the latter since it isn't waiting, it would just be good to know what mechanism is doing it in case it needs to be tuned also.

For #1, it doesn't seem like SDL_Net gives me a way to adjust the buffer size. Am I missing something? If not, what are my best options for moving forward?

Things I'm considering:

1. I could fork SDL_Net, it seems simple enough that maintenance wouldn't be that bad. I'd be in the realm of writing platform-specific tuning code though, which I'd rather not do.
  2. ENet seems interesting. I've been avoiding UDP to save on implementation complexity, since I likely won't need the performance, but this could be a way to go. (Edit: Also noticed that valve put out a lib https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets)
  3. I could roll my own reliable UDP (again, trying to avoid this).
  4. Other libraries?
Advertisement

What value are you getting out of SDL_Net? Sockets and address lookup are pretty portable as-is if you just use socket() and getaddrinfo() and such. Just keep a header with a few #defines and your Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS builds can all use the same code. (There are some differences around socklen_t, and the type of the socket itself, and using select() is not a great idea on Windows.)

If you want a bigger per-socket buffer, then you need to increase the send buffer size and receive buffer size socket options BEFORE you bind the socket – generally, right after you call socket() to make it. SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF are the sizes you want to tweak. That being said – if you back up 16 kilobytes, how much time is that? How much do you send per socket, per second? Backing up three seconds of data might not be what you want, anyway – instead, use non-blocking sends, and detect that the pipe is clogged, and back off on the application side, and start generating fresher updates/packets once the pipes are un-clogged again.

Talking about “Reliable UDP” and “TCP" in the same post makes no sense, though. Either you need a bulk protocol with head-of-line blocking and in-order data delivery, or you don't. If you need it, use TCP.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

hplus0603 said:

Talking about “Reliable UDP” and “TCP" in the same post makes no sense, though. Either you need a bulk protocol with head-of-line blocking and in-order data delivery, or you don't. If you need it, use TCP.

Hah, seems obvious now, but I hadn't considered that. My app logic already works off the message's tick number, out-of-order delivery would only require adding a little logic to a couple spots. UDP it is, then. I still need reliability, so I'll have to decide on a library.

You can build reliability into UDP quite easily. A library can do it if you want, but the work isn't difficult if you decide to roll your own.

There are many variants on sliding window protocols and re-sending unacknowledged data. In their simplest form you keep track of old data for a few milliseconds. If they haven't replied that they received a block, you begin re-sending the data. When it is acknowledged it is discarded. Unlike TCP's requirements, this lets you choose to accept and process data as it arrives, or to wait around if you want to block until the sequence arrives in order.

frob said:

You can build reliability into UDP quite easily. A library can do it if you want, but the work isn't difficult if you decide to roll your own.

There are many variants on sliding window protocols and re-sending unacknowledged data. In their simplest form you keep track of old data for a few milliseconds. If they haven't replied that they received a block, you begin re-sending the data. When it is acknowledged it is discarded. Unlike TCP's requirements, this lets you choose to accept and process data as it arrives, or to wait around if you want to block until the sequence arrives in order.

Yeah, I'm almost to the point of just rolling my own. The options for libs are:

1. ENet - might be fine, but no longer supported
  2. Raknet - also no longer supported
  3. SLikeNet - Potentially good improvements over raknet, but I had to modify the CMake to get it to build, which isn't a good sign. Also the code quality of the improvements seems kinda shoddy. Also also, it's massive and I won't need most of it, which adds bloat to my project.
  4. Yojimbo - Gaffer said it's only really supported up to 256 clients. Could work for more, but might need to optimize it myself.
  5. GameNetworkingSockets - Code seems all over the place, API seems to still be in flux. Also potential performance issues with large connection counts.

Everything I choose to do myself adds time to my (already way too long-term) project, but I'd rather make my own minimal thing than take on other people's bloat and tech debt. Modifying Yojimbo might be a nice option, at the very least I'm gonna learn the codebase as inspiration for my own thing.

Maybe I'll just roll my own thin TCP wrapper as a halfway house to check performance (would be really fast to implement), then switch to reliable UDP if it isn't good enough.

I would be highly in favor of using TCP if you can get away with it.

AFAIK, it was good enough for World of Warcraft.

If you do go with UDP, you need to have a fairly aggressive timeout if you lose connectivity – trying to just re-blast data when you get packet loss, leads to catastrophically escalating congestion. If the reason for the packet drop is some chokepoint close to your server, you might otherwise impact almost-all of your customers just because a few customers started seeing drops and increased their packet sizes with re-sends.

For that kind of UDP, if you haven't heard anything in, say, 3-5 seconds, you should consider the connection dead, and stop sending and tear it down. If you need to survive > 5 second lumps without connection teardown, then perhaps UDP isn't your choice anyway, and you do need TCP after all!

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement