Starting a Game Studio

Started by
11 comments, last by vondesiong 3 years, 1 month ago

@frob Thank you so much, your insight is greatly appreciated.
You raised some very valid concerns, some of which I'm prepared to tackle, others have mostly been researched.

I also have a backup (smaller) project that we can begin on as a Game Studio, however its success is not as guaranteed as the project I'm discussing here. Therefore, I get the "lottery" feeling when discussing the smaller project and that's why I've chosen the harder project.

As for Marketing and sales, I believe Steam takes 30% of revenue but they also help your game reach its targeted segment. In addition to having Kickstarter to share the game's concept and idea for further financial or other types of support.

None

Advertisement

Saif_youssef said:
As for Marketing and sales, I believe Steam takes 30% of revenue but they also help your game reach its targeted segment. In addition to having Kickstarter to share the game's concept and idea for further financial or other types of support.

Steam is not a marketing strategy. I can assure you that if you dump your game on Steam it will become burred under quickly. Exposure is key, and exposure costs money. If you think Steam will promote your indie game to make money then you're sadly mistaken. Every commercial project I've worked on that went on Steam required marketing to direct traffic to their Steam page, Steam did not freely promote anything that rendered noticeable sales.

How will you make sales off of Kickstarter if those people are putting money into your overall development and receiving the game for free? Are you building a community prior to Kickstarter? How will you get people to find you on Kickstarter? Why would they want to fund your game? Consider that the vast majority of indie game developers are not successful using crowdfunding. There is no magic bullet here. You should have a workable prototype, and lots of eye candy first, then a strategy to get people to your Kickstarter page. Much like Steam, it wont happen by itself.

Do you have a plan after to fund your marketing campaign? What is your game's monetization plan? How will you bring in new users besides those who backed your development?

These are important questions.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement