Advice getting funding/partnering as a non coder: Steven King Mobile game.

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 9 months ago

If I'm in the wrong place, please delete. I'm not a coder, just have a unique idea that won't go away so decided to ask for help, and found this Forum.

I can't code, and have not been able to get the £15K I was quoted to get the game made.

Based on a Stephen King book ( So nervous I spelt his name wrong in the title!), four years after I concieved the idea, this type of simple Multiplayer Mobile Tapping game has still not been made AFAIK. It would work as a small web game too, but on Mobile/Tablet, it would shine. I already have approval to continue with the concept.

It's hard to talk about due to the originality of the game and it's roots, but if there's one thing my brain is good at, it's finding holes in the market. I just want this idea out of my head, but feel someone could benefit from it as it's such a unique thing. I can do the art, have the whole gameplay cycle mapped out, have already been told it's unlike anything they've worked on by a SUMO Digital, but never managed to get the money to see it through.

If anyone is looking for a unique project to work on, I'm open to discuss.

Cheers, Leigh.

Advertisement

Leigh, your post has been moved to the Business forum because the subject line of your post says you're looking for "Advice getting funding/partnering", and the Business forum has lots of advice on that. If you want to look for volunteers* to work with you, use the Hobby Projects Classifieds board.

*Working for future royalties or profit share falls under Hobby projects. There's a lot of competition for volunteers in our Hobby board.

£15K is a very low budget for a game. I imagine Mr. King's agency will want more than that just for permission to make a game based on his intellectual property. You absolutely need permission from Mr. King before you begin using his name or his IP. Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Cheers, and apologies. Sumo were pretty interested and willing to start for that amount with option to partner. I just never got the funds together. Mr King also regularly gives away his IP's for very little. It seems more about sharing than money for him.

OK, but to mitigate your risk, don't spend too much money on preparing your proposal to Mr. King's licensing agent. You will probably need a works-like/looks-like demo (not quite as far as a vertical slice, but more than a proof of concept).

Cheers again. I was close to the 15K for a ‘vertical slice’ with SUMO, but kids etc.

I'm not sure what else I can do. It's such a simple thing design wise, apart from the multiplayer aspect, thus the low cost from SUMO. They were rather intrigued as they too had not seen a game like it.

As soon as the gameplay and art was sent, I got approval to move forward from Mr Kings agent, so it seems they got the idea and liked my approach. It's literally a whole Stephen King story in a simple Mobile game format. His words, characters etc on your tablet. A copy of a Stephen King book was a prize for playing.

I'll keep trying. This one idea just won't go away. If I'd found any other game that was similar, I'd have filed it under ‘Already done’ and moved on. I don't really care about money, a problem I've always had, but Stephen King fans would love it.

I might contact Amazon to see if they want to partner, as the ebooks could be through Kindle.

I don't think the Amazon idea is going to work. What you need is money. There are plenty of discussions about crowdfunding options in this bulletin board.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement