Crowdsourcing/"pitching" your game idea to a potential publisher, tips/advice?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 9 months ago

Hello all, I am currently writing a proof of concept for an idea that is described as a “horror souls-like mixed with over the top action similar to games made by Platinum”. Some additional details for this idea is that I am also having similar transformative weapons as seen in the game Bloodborne and the ability to execute skill based combos with all of the tools and weapons available to the player. I am a beginner when it comes to marketing or “pitching” an idea to an audience and would like to know if anyone has any advice on how I could pitch an idea like this to a potential publisher or backer. I know crowdsourcing exists but it is something that can be hard to gain peoples trust on as there have been significant controversial campaigns like the Mighty no. 9 campaign among others even star citizen that have tainted peoples trust in crowdsourcing campaigns. I thought of having gameplay demos available as teasers for download would help gain some traction but I really don't know how I would advertise these things as some random beginner dev with no following. Any help would be appreciated!

None

Advertisement

GrimmOne77 said:
I am currently writing a proof of concept for an idea….

You don't write a proof of concept. A proof of concept has to be programmed, not written. The thing you write is a concept paper. You should also write a treatment and a PowerPoint pitch. The difference between a concept paper or 2-pager and treatment are discussed at the bottom of FAQ 13.

GrimmOne77 said:
…for an idea that is described as….

We don't need to know anything about the concept to help you with this question.

GrimmOne77 said:
would like to know if anyone has any advice on how I could pitch an idea like this to a potential publisher or backer

Yes. There have been lots of discussions on this question in the Business and Law forum. And see FAQ 21 and FAQ 35.

GrimmOne77 said:
I know crowdsourcing exists

"Crowdsourcing" is a broad term. Are you talking about crowdfunding? Or are you talking about pitching your idea to the crowd to get them to help develop the game? You'll find lots of discussions about crowdfunding in the Business And Law forum. You can crowdsource helpers in the Hobby Projects Classifieds board.

GrimmOne77 said:
I really don't know how I would advertise these things

Yes, marketing is its own special challenge. You'll find lots of discussions on marketing in the Business And Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement