Apple vs. Epic - Unreal Engine kicked off all Apple platforms?

Started by
29 comments, last by enigma_dev 3 years, 8 months ago

The Apple vs Epic war just heated up. See

Advertisement

Apple vs. Epic - Unreal Engine kicked off all Apple platforms?

Uhm, no, its not that "Unreal Engine" is kicked off all apple platforms, but only fortnite. This was because Epic installed an inapp-purchase system specifically for fortnite that would bypass apples appstore and their 30% cut of inapp-purchases. The same thing happend in the google playstore as well, so its not like its just Epic vs. Apple (though the lawsuit seems to taylored towards them). But maybe curb your title a little, will you?^^

That was the previous proclamation from Apple. Today, Apple went further. From Epic's court filing, linked in the message above, on page 9:

Apple stated that if it terminates Epic, then Epic “may no longer submit apps to the App Store” and its “apps still available for distribution will be removed.” (Id. at 3.) Apple also stated it will cut off Epic’s access to a list of tools, including “[a]ll Apple software, SDKs [software development kits], APIs [application programming interfaces], and developer tools”, as well as “pre-release versions” of iOS, macOS and other Apple OSs. (Id.) Finally, Apple stated that unless Epic capitulates, Apple will also block “[e]ngineering efforts to improve hardware and software performance of Unreal Engine on Mac and iOS hardware [and] optimize Unreal Engine for the Mac for creative workflows”.

Funny how Apple Fanboys used to bitch and complain about the Microsoft monopoly. LOL

but, does anyone remember when they were Epic MEGA Games?

@fleabay so scary that it’s funny. LOL

I remember when they were Epic MEGA Games… I sent them some art of mine, but it was not ready for the prime-time yet. However, instead of simply telling me no, they also gave me some pamphlets on how to hone your art, etc. What a bunch of awesome people. This was in like 25 years ago, ffs I'm getting old. ?

So I was like, yeah, my art is crap, so I switched to programming. LOL

Story just hit the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/08/17/apple-cuts-off-epic-its-tools-endangering-future-unreal-engine-projects-ios-mac/

Also covered on Fox New Business, International Business Times, Ars Technica, etc.

Effective cut-off date is August 28th.

What can you say? Apple’s OpenGL support is not even close to up-to-date. What a piece of scrap metal their MacBook is.

I had a MacBook, but I switched back to Windows. I spent half of what I would have if I had bought another MacBook, plus I got modern OpenGL support! Go mighty AMD Ryzen 3 LOL

Nagle said:
That was the previous proclamation from Apple. Today, Apple went further. From Epic's court filing, linked in the message above, on page 9:

Wow. That escalated quickly. But also not that surprising seeing as Epic pretty much declared war on apple. well, there go my chances of using Unreal at work I suppose LOL (we are doing many mobile titles).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement