Is Patreon an acceptable substitute for a website or store while a game is being developed? not sure what to do really

Started by
0 comments, last by Ky. 3 years, 8 months ago

Hi all

I've been running a patreon for a while now, really under the radar though. Recently decided that instead of fragmenting out news and posts over a Microsites, Twitter, Facebook, Patreon, GameDev, etc that id just consolidate most of that responsibility to the patreon thats supporting the development of my current game. This helps bolster content in the form of posts, videos, updates, etc on the platform where people could ve convinced to fund the project, but everything social media could then have the excuse to link directly to the patreon page.

I've been taught over the years to reduce the number of clicks between your project and the funding button (buy / subscribe / etc) and Patreon seems to be as close to the magic bullet as it gets in this regard.

Where my literal only other concern is what happens when my steam page live.. do I start linking to that instead.. and then I'm just back to the fragmentation issue I'm trying to resolve

A member of my team proposed we build a landing page microsite to link to all these things, but no ones decided who's maintaining that thing. As the resident web developer that would be me, but itd be sucking away my time attention from programming the game itself.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this is.. is what im doing a bad idea? Is it too “on the nose"? If you've done something like this, what was your experience? Good or bad? What would you do differently?

?

~Ky.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement