How much to charge for SKIPPING THE LEVEL?

Started by
11 comments, last by fgamescreation 3 years, 5 months ago

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit struggling with SKIPPING the level amount player would need to pay.

At first I was thinking that Watch and Ad would do...

But I have that implemented already in case you want to repeat the level rather than start over.

So Skip a level sounds like should be bit more...

I was thinking 300 coins,

for example you getting 100 coins for every level you PASS,

so that make 3 levels PASSED for 1 Level skipped? Would that be fair amount to you ?

thanks for your thoughts.

Check my new game SHOOT THRU on my website: www.fgamescreation.com

Advertisement

fleabay - hopefully people wouldn't skip them because they will be bad, some levels are very challenging. If someone would be stuck in one level for too long, I know it is frustrating and people quit. And we know that for SOME people one level will be super challenging and other person will pass it with no problems. I thought it would be a good idea.

I'm with fleabay here, making people pay to not play the game is really a bad idea. If a only a few levels are “bad”, people are going to keep playing through them if the rest of the game is well made. If the game is 90% bad, then people will not spend money to skip through almost all of it just to play the 3 levels that are decent.
If you really want to monetize progression or give people some way of making things less frustrating by spending $, then you should think of other ways. Since I don't know what type of game this is, I can only make general suggestions, but what about:

• Giving them some sort of power-up they can pay that makes the level more easier when used
  • Give them a way to extend the level (buy more time/moves/lifes …)
  • Give them a chance to pay to continue the level from the point where they lost

I'm personally not a fan of any of those or microtransactions in general, but at least its not as deteremential to the core gameplay as what you had in mind.

if the game level is awful to play, have a button that gives me my 300coins and i will skip the awful level - i will then play your game over and over

that's fun ?

Juliean, thanks appreciate constructive comments, need to think about it!?

Ddlox - great idea.

Instead of facilitating skipping, how about you give the struggling player hints or tools, or alternate ways of completing difficult levels.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper - yeah, I will try work on that ? seems like might be a better option.

Skipping a level means that that level is bad, and should be re-designed. It's that simple. ("Simple" – hah! Making games is not simple!)

If you really want monetization, sell some power upgrade that makes winning much easier – the “giant eagle” in Angry Birds is an example.

That being said, level design that progressively exposes its own structure is the best way to solve this. If you can't that, add hints of some sort — ideally in-game, such as with special glowy effects or something, rather than banging the user on the nose with text. If that still doesn't work, apply the Giant Eagle type in-app purchase.

Also, instrument the game, so that you know where people get stuck, and can improve/re-design those parts. This is why games send progress information back to the server! (Well, one reason.) Doing that is not really optional anymore – any game designer must have that information to do their job well in the current environment.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Hplus0603 - not sure if I agree that skipping level mean the level was bad. But I'm a newbie, maybe bit arrogant? will see in the future, but I NOW totally agree that I should rather implement some help, etc. Instead of skipping option. Thank you for your thoughts, definitely helping me become better game developer?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement