Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Can you give feedback on my game website?

Started by totesmagotes Mar 7, 2021 at 3:53 PM 33 replies 43.3k views
Original Post
totesmagotes
totesmagotes

Hi there,

I hired a web designer to make a site for a game I've been working on.

What do you think of the site? As a gamer, does the site pique your interest in the game? If you were an investor looking for a game project, what would you think of this one?

What do you think of the navigation, aesthetics, etc..? What would you change about it?

The site: https://starimperium.mooncatgamescompany.com/​

SuperVGA
SuperVGA

Avada esports? The domain name says catgamescompany, and since those two didn't match, I wasn't keen on exploring further. Will the hero title and the domain name eventually match?

a light breeze
a light breeze

The site is unusable without enabling Javascript. I'm not going to enable Javascript just to view your website.

fleabay
fleabay

@a light breeze Most of the internet is unusable without Javascript. Or at least very unenjoyable. You talk like he is requiring Flash.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.
totesmagotes
totesmagotes

@SuperVGA Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed, since it isn't showing in Firefox, or in Fullscreen chrome. It's the name of the template, but it shouldn't be there. I let my web developer know.

source61
source61

Everything requiring JS is bad design (like the content of every single page). Took me 15 seconds to load the first image on the front page. Really slow website in general, feels like it's hosted on a free shared website host or something.

Otherwise looks ok. It's cute and I like most of it, especially the mooncat-logo (but that's just me).

SuperVGA
SuperVGA

totesmagotes said:

@SuperVGA Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed, since it isn't showing in Firefox, or in Fullscreen chrome. It's the name of the template, but it shouldn't be there. I let my web developer know.

Ah, alright - great! Something else I've noticed is that the visuals across the pages don't match in terms of colours:
The Home -page is fine, with white on black, granted the “JOIN THE COMMUNITY” is all-caps and on a very light blue background, differing from the above sections. But if you go to the next page - “Gameplay overview”, you have these white tiles with black on them (and wonky animations on their neighboring tiles) instead of white on black. It seems like a drastic difference to change theme like that. Moving on, the FAQ is white on grey, the Dev blog is black on white, the Story is grey on blue, Factions is white (and grey!) hovering over the background image. The Contact -page has bright grey over darker grey and finally Community, which has all sorts of monochrome on a light grey background.

Except for the faint grey body text in the faction pages, there's nothing wrong with the individual colour schemes. But on the same site, I think the colouring should be consistent, with the option of having specific sections inverted or highlighted in a single manner.

source61 said:
Everything requiring JS is bad design (like the content of every single page).

Yes, everything! Google.com for instance, is absolutely horrible. It's not JS' fault that the site is slow, it's the server, developer, client etc.

source61
source61

SuperVGA said:

source61 said:
Everything requiring JS is bad design (like the content of every single page).

Yes, everything! Google.com for instance, is absolutely horrible. It's not JS' fault that the site is slow, it's the server, developer, client etc.

To be fair most Google services including the search engine works without JS, many large websites I've noticed even uses CSS dropdown menu's nowadays.
I agree it's not the JS' fault, they were meant to be separate statements.

Gnollrunner
Gnollrunner

Knowing little about web design (although oddly enough I did about a year of JavaScript client side stuff at one point), I'll just chime in and say it looks pretty cool to me, and at least on my computer it's pretty responsive.

JohnnyCode
JohnnyCode

Java Script allows users computer use its computational power. It has a down size of distributing computing instruction set to the client as an uncompiled comodity but that affects purely developer. There are amazing oportunities and web aps on internet these days, and disabling JS means you are becoming solely a html seek of server back end.

The web page looks good for a game I think, and has nice responsivity, just the image loaded for too long for a while only showing background and font text of navigation, which I would change becouse it looks like New York Times Roman.

totesmagotes
totesmagotes

That you all so much for the feedback! It's going to be really helpful for improving the site, I'll probably post again in a few weeks once the site's been modified enough.

Copywright
Copywright

a light breeze said:

The site is unusable without enabling Javascript. I'm not going to enable Javascript just to view your website.

what is this, Tor? that's the only place you should care if a site uses JS…

Anyway, I think it looks fine. Maybe too much CSS animation for me. Performance wise, it takes >300 ms to load for me. But it doesn't take an eternity. so you're in good shape.

source61
source61

Copywright said:

a light breeze said:

The site is unusable without enabling Javascript. I'm not going to enable Javascript just to view your website.

what is this, Tor? that's the only place you should care if a site uses JS…

Actually exploits are often done through javascript, for instance XSS exploits.
It's also used very heavily on many websites to the point of wasting a lot of resources (on a laptop this can become a HW issue by heating up and even lagging the computer if it's not a brand new or top model laptop) and is a huge privacy threat in all cases, being able to send logs of your keystrokes and other information about what's going on in your browser to any outside source/target.
And these are just the cases I'm aware of, there's probably others too.

Copywright
Copywright

@source61 Sure, but most browsers will detect any malicious JS and prevent you from even navigating there… I know Chromium browsers like Chrome and Brave do.

plus, there's Malwarebytes WebGuard… like I said, the only place where malicious JS lives and you wont know about it, will be Tor.

HappyCoder
HappyCoder

This is probably more feedback than you were looking for. You may already be aware of some of these issues but I figured I would point them out.

Home


I think it looks great. If you could get mooncatgames.com I think that would help. The long domain name is a little weird.

The website actually got me interested in trying out the game, although I think if you could better communicate the genre and gameplay in the large image on the home page it may help. Although the screenshot right below that does a really good job showing gameplay so it may not be a huge issue.

The description of the game is great. It short and to the point. Thank you for not doing a story dump on that page.

Having a call to action on the home page is great.

Gameplay Overview

The gray gradient with the black text over the top doesn't look great. It isn't bad but could be better. I don't have much in terms of suggestions, just my perception of it.

FAQ

Not enough contrast between the background and the answer text

There are a few grammatical errors here

Story

I really like the story premise but the writing could use some work. I am no writer but a couple of examples that I could spot

The gates allowed instant travel between the stars. They used used the gateways to travel the stars

The word stars showing up twice like that back to back feels awkward

Also Without the gates, the Empire collapsed, and the many worlds were left to their own devices. Some worlds that were close enough formed federations and shared scientific discoveries and culture, but communication was limited to the speed of light, and travel and trade between the stars was not feasible. Other worlds went darksed is in there twice.

This feels like there is too much exposition dump. I would reconsider what information is essential in this paragraph. Elaborate on it more and remove any information that isn't needed.

Factions

The text is hard to read over the image background

Contact

There is lorem ipsum on the page. Also text color contrast


Community

More unreadable text

EDIT: Speling errors

My current game project Platform RPG
totesmagotes
totesmagotes

HappyCoder said:

Home


If you could get mooncatgames.com I think that would help. The long domain name is a little weird.

Unfortunately, someone is squatting on that domain name. I tried to contact them to make them an offer, but they just won't answer. What do you think of mooncatgames.ca? I already own it. If you type just that URL, it'll redirect you to mooncatgamescompany.com, the company site. Maybe I should use that as my actual domain and dump mooncatgamescompany entirely…

Regarding the Story section, thanks for pointing that out, I definitely need to rewrite that.

This is probably more feedback than you were looking for.

On the contrary, your feedback is very useful, thank you!

void_guyver
void_guyver

@totesmagotes I like the site so far. Didn't have any trouble navigating - I always knew at a glance where I was / how to get to my next destination. Because of the full-page picture on the homepage, though, I didn't know to scroll down until i visited a second time. Text looked clear to me (Firefox 86.0.1 64-bit). I am entertained by the Xalofan, who fly using hydrogen-powered farts!

None
Programmer71
Programmer71

In my humble eopinion , I like the site, I like the atmosphere and graphics art, I haven't experienced all those problems on Chrome by the way.

roatikos
roatikos

@totesmagotes meh man this desiner is scamer but ok you can say it good

please sent the game link please

Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper

roatikos said:
meh man this desiner is scamer

You need to use kinder language. We don't approve of insults, trash talk, and harsh language in our community. If you suspect someone of being a scammer, use the Report system. Also, please capitalize the first word of each sentence and use punctuation. This is a forum, not in-game chat.

-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.