how to create a text life game simulator (like Bitlife )

Started by
5 comments, last by Alberth 3 years, 1 month ago

i am so interested in creating a game, please suggest me how to start? Interested in game like Bitlife , I have so many ideas

Advertisement

Do you have any programming or project management experience?

JumblyApps

If you know a programming language, use that. Otherwise, pick a new one. Popular starter languages are Python and C#, where Python is the simplest to get off the ground. Start with some simple programming exercises.

Then write small and simple, but mostly small games. Think hangman, you can do that using just text output. After a few of those, try a simple graphical one, eg pong, or space invaders.

The reason for suggesting this path is that learning to program from scratch means you're going to have a big fight with the programming language. Most games are much much more complicated than learning to program, so you want to avoid those problems until you have found your way in programming somewhat, learning to program is complicated enough at first.

The games I suggest are mostly for easing you into the territory, getting an understanding how these games work internally.

EDIT: The games also give you a glance of the amount of work needed to make a game.

@undefined a month ago i started learning java) thats all what I have)

@Alberth i start learning java a month ago , but I was told that you can create a game without knowledge of coding

mavpa said:
i start learning java a month ago , but I was told that you can create a game without knowledge of coding

Sure, board games and card games generally don't need coding knowledge ?

If you want to make a computer game, there are a few options (I think the beginner resources have some, but not sure), but basically, it's mostly just programming in disguise, since in the end you need to tell the computer what it's supposed to do and the only way to do that is programming it in some way.

In the longer term, the above solutions will become limiting, so eventually you'll end up with a programming language anyway.

If you really don't want to code, then creating a team that makes it for you would be a possibility, but usually that requires money.

@Alberth ok do java is not the correct language for games? which one I should learn python ? and please BITLife game how to make that kind of game?

Missed your response by a few days, sorry.

Basically, you can build the same things with any language. As such, there is no “wrong” language. They mostly differ in how friendly they are if you make a mistake, or in how much lines you have to write to get anything done. Java, Python, and C# are all quite friendly, and good to start with. Lua is also quite friendly.

As for your dream game, I don't know the game, but it sounds like a simulation game, where you simulate part of a world. There are tons of such games, including in open source projects, so have a look around.

It's not something you can write as your 2nd program though after “hello world”. Games always look very simple, but believe me, there is a lot more under the hood than you can imagine currently.

Just as you cannot assemble a car engine from bare metal after your first car lesson, you cannot just write a real world commercial game just like that. Learn programming learn how games in general work first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement