Re Evil / Silent Hill inspired game

Started by
3 comments, last by horadric_cube 3 years ago

Hey! ?

I'm currently working by my own in a horror game inspired by resident evil and silent hill.

Still haven't decided on the plot, since i'm more into programming.

But already made some gameplay mechanics, and worked in the enviroment

I'd like a lot, if you guys just share here what you think about it.

There is a bunch of videos in my youtube channel : Nytion Wings - YouTube

The game is being made in UNITY

It has a weapon mechanic added to it, currently with 4 weapons : Handgun , Magnum, Assault Rifle and Submachine Gun ( the worst i've made ).

I'm not sure though if it will have action elements, just added it because i like guns

The game looks different on each video because i've changed my mind several times about the graphics.

It started with simulating PS1 Shaders.

Later I changed to CARTOON.

And now photorealism.

For all the videos about the project, just visit the channel : Nytion Wings - YouTube

There are also videos of the project that preceded this one.

Feel free to leave your HONEST opinion please, this is a HELLO WORLD from my game ?

Thank you for your attention :)

Advertisement

Looks ok, and seem to be working decently. If it is an early stage, I think is a good result. But I would add more elements before asking for opinions. Try making a small vertical slice (akin to a playable demo), so you can showcase what you want to achieve. Make a simple level, showing some enemies and a single puzzle, so you can test the combat, exploration and the survival horror aspect (key parts of the games you mentioned). Don't overdo it. A simple 4~6 room building, were you need to find 3 keys or combine 2 items do get out, is more tha enough. Take a look at the Resident Evil 3 Remake demo, where you need to find a hose to put a fire out. A simple task, but it shows what the game is.

nytionwings@gmail.com said:
But already made some gameplay mechanics, and worked in the enviroment

(…)

I'm not sure though if it will have action elements, just added it because i like guns

You need a goal. To turn these isolated mechanics into the core gameplay, and see if they work. Do some game design, decide what you want to achieve, put it into paper and develop it. Change it if you don't like it (or based on feedback). Without a goal, you will just be “experimenting” without achieving much.

nytionwings@gmail.com said:
And now photorealism.

What is your understanding of “photorealism”? When people say that, they tend to mean things (characters and environments) that look as real as possible (think Red Dead Redemption 2). From your videos, your project is not close to photorealistic, so I would avoid calling it photorealistic, to avoid confusion (and, possibly, harsh criticism).

The current cartoon/cellshaded look you have now is ok. If you keep in this route, a few tweaks will make it better. The character and the environments need some work to be in a more similar art style, to keep things more consistent.

@TerraSkilll Hey! Thank you a lot for your reply.

TerraSkilll said:

Try making a small vertical slice (akin to a playable demo), so you can showcase what you want to achieve. Make a simple level, showing some enemies and a single puzzle, so you can test the combat, exploration and the survival horror aspect (key parts of the games you mentioned).

I'm currently working on that. Just like you said, I'm more experimenting things than making a real game, I'm having problem drawing a goal for this project.

TerraSkilll said:

What is your understanding of “photorealism”?

By photorealism I just meant using real life 1024+ res texture, since I was just using pixelated textures before with ps1 and cartoon shaders.

I absolutely love the project, however I am a just starting my game dev journey and unfortunately don't think I would be much help. I can give a few pointers as I love horror.

-Music and Sound Design is key: You are gonna want to focus on these two things a lot as you need to strike emotion in the player whether that be fear, despair or a sense that somethings wrong. Whatever you go for this will play a key factor in the players reaction to a scenario.

-Create a playable demo: This was already said by @terraskilll and he would be right. People need to know what kind of horror game you are creating and want to see your motivation before them jump on board, not that I am saying you are not motivated. Think back to PT and create an experience that encompasses how you want the game to feel.

-Do not rely on jumpscares: Jumpscares are cheap and get old quick, I know that silent hill uses the environment to draw it's player in and when a jumpscare does happen (if it does) it usually will get ya.

This is about all I can offer, best of luck!

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement