Australia & Xbox Developer Sign-up

Started by
13 comments, last by NightCreature83 2 years, 8 months ago

Hi

I was trying to sign up for the xbox developer program but I encountered something really outrageous.
So, they ask me to “affirm that I, or my organization is registered for Australian GST”. This crazy, because by OUR LAW we don't have to do it until we get our turnover to be more than 75K AUD/ year. And the thing is, that if I apply now for GST because of xbox - our sales will be taxed at 10%, making us lose a lot of money, just because of bringing a small game on xbox that never intended to bring us more than 100 dollars.
What the hell? Is this a bug or is it for real? They say that “anyone can participate in development program - students, hobbyists, etc”. Yet they require a GST which requires you to have a BUSINESS registered first. Yes, you need an ABN to get a GST - so you are not a student/hobbyist after that, you are a company owner. Wtf, why are they lying?

“Whether you’re just getting into game development, finishing a student project, or looking to take your latest creation to the biggest screen in the house, the Xbox Creators Program is for you!… Create a developer account to get started!”
And then they ask for GST, which you can only have after you register a business in Australia. Doesn't sound like anything for “student projects”.

Advertisement

Moved to the Games Business and Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

IDK what a GST is, but it could be something like an EIN?

Maybe it's one of those fields that is recommended but not required?

See if you see a red * by it?

try submitting with out it?

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

@GeneralJist in your post I read that your company in registered in the US.

You do have GST there.

Australia is not a part of USA mate. You need a green card.

GeneralJist said:
IDK what a GST is

I didn't, either. I had to Google it. I assume Australian GST is the same thing as Indian GST.

HelpNeeded2 said:
I read that your company in registered in the US. You do have GST there.

It would have been polite to explain what GST stands for. After I googled it, I found out it's what we call in the US “sales tax.”

Acosix said:
You need a green card.

…What?? The OP never asked anything about establishing residency in the US.

Hmm….I'll have to reread.

I got the idea GST is connected to the one in US.

HelpNeeded2 said:
they ask me to “affirm that I, or my organization is registered for Australian GST”. This crazy, because by OUR LAW we don't have to do it until we get our turnover to be more than 75K AUD/ year. … if I apply now for GST because of xbox - our sales will be taxed at 10%, making us lose a lot of money, just because of bringing a small game on xbox that never intended to bring us more than 100 dollars.

Looks to me like the answer is don't do it. You're not ready. Release your game somewhere else - not for Xbox but for PC/Windows. Go back to Xbox at some time in the distant future when you have achieved their required milestone(s). Now, it appears, is not the time for you to do this particular thing you're trying to do.

@Tom Sloper Thanks for taking time and answering

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement