Australia & Xbox Developer Sign-up

Started by
13 comments, last by NightCreature83 2 years, 8 months ago

I made a research and found this. It seems that income acquired through marketplaces is exempt from GST threshold. So my sales won't be taxed at 10%. But this makes it even more weirder, because Xbox store (or whatever it is called) is also an online marketplace. So what do they need the GST for?

As an independent seller, you must register for GST if your digital sales in surpass Australia’s annual threshold of A$75,000. If you don’t pass the limit, then you don’t need to register.

But — and this is an important “but” — if you use an online marketplace to sell your products, then it’s likely the marketplace operator is responsible for GST… not you! And it’s possible you don’t need to register for taxes after all.

Electronic Distribution Platforms (EDP) and Australian GST

According to the ATO, an electronic distribution platform “includes (but is not limited to) a website, internet portal, gateway, store or marketplace.” So this could be anything from Amazon to the Apple App Store

Any sales made through an EDP

• Do not count toward your annual sales threshold
  • Are not your GST responsibility!

Instead the operator of the EDP is liable for these taxes, and it’s their responsibility to inform the customer, charge, collect, and pay GST.

Source: quaderno io

Advertisement

Almost all platforms I have dealt with are extremely weird and illogical, and I am so glad that we have Steam.

-Google Play requires you to share your address with public
-Sony requires a static IP and a non-public email address.
-Apple requires you to develop on Mac, and has some craziest anti-developer rules
-Xbox wants GST from students or hobbysts.
-EGS doesn't even have a way for regular folks to register

They are all legitimately insane and a nightmare to deal with. Only Steam is place with normal rules and requirements, and I can't express how much I appreciate it. No bullshit about showing addresses, no bullshit about IPs and emails, no GST, no platform-restrictions.
They are the most adequate, the most developer-friendly store out there. Protect it guys. And praise Gaben!

ok, so ya Google says:

"VAT or GST registration number

This number is

an alphanumeric identifier unique to the person or entity doing business

. A VAT or GST number is used to identify the tax status of a customer and also to identify the place of taxation."

I've never heard of this.

But it seems like a thing everywhere.

Sounds like it's for tax purposes.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

HelpNeeded2 said:

Almost all platforms I have dealt with are extremely weird and illogical, and I am so glad that we have Steam.

-Google Play requires you to share your address with public
-Sony requires a static IP and a non-public email address.
-Apple requires you to develop on Mac, and has some craziest anti-developer rules
-Xbox wants GST from students or hobbysts.
-EGS doesn't even have a way for regular folks to register

They are all legitimately insane and a nightmare to deal with. Only Steam is place with normal rules and requirements, and I can't express how much I appreciate it. No bullshit about showing addresses, no bullshit about IPs and emails, no GST, no platform-restrictions.
They are the most adequate, the most developer-friendly store out there. Protect it guys. And praise Gaben!

The Sony thing is a security thing on their end, they require that so that they can whitelist that IP and allow you access to their developement stuff with the account they give you. They really don't like home brew on their consoles and this is a way for them to control that.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement