Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Frame rate locked to 15 FPS on Windows 10 start up

Started by spriggan Dec 10, 2021 at 9:47 AM 7 replies 13.4k views
Original Post
spriggan
spriggan

Ever since Windows 10 my application is often locked to 15 FPS when I run it after turning on my machine. I have v-synch disabled in my application and in the Nvidia control panel. When I “restart” my PC the frame rate is unlocked and is now strictly based on the expense of the scene's update.

Other games I play on my machine don't seem to have this issue.

My game uses OpenGL with C++.

My system is Windows 10 64-bit.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB

Nvidia 3070 RTX.

If anyone can shed any light on this issue it will be greatly appreciated.

Shaarigan
Shaarigan

Are you sure you have to restart the entire PC and not just the App itself?

spriggan
spriggan

Shaarigan said:

Are you sure you have to restart the entire PC and not just the App itself?

@Shaarigan Yes, 100%.

spriggan
spriggan

@Shaarigan I just confirmed it again. When I turned on my PC and ran my game it was running at 7FPS. I restarted my PC and ran it again, now it's running between 142-166 frames per second, it's as if the scheduler doesn't give it enough execution slots when initially booted up, it's bizarre.

JoeJ
JoeJ

Maybe you have a crypto mining trojan.
Happened to me, and i noticed because my stuff was slower. Then i used a tool like GPU-Z and saw GPU does not clock down as usual in desktop mode.

Programmer71
Programmer71

How did you get rid of that mining trojan ?

JoeJ
JoeJ

Programmer71 said:
How did you get rid of that mining trojan ?

Can't remember - probably by reinstalling OS from scratch.

Shaarigan
Shaarigan

Get a proper firewall like Comodo Internet Security for free and try to find if there is something connecting to the web that shouldn't. Then you could try to get rid of it

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.