Is 60x90 too large for a pixel art character?

Started by
5 comments, last by MapleBagel3 2 years, 4 months ago

I started working on a little project recently but haven't delved too far as i want everything to fit together well but i'm desperate for feedback on my current character size, it's 60x90 and I've been using it as a size reference for all the assets i'm making, I just wanted some feedback on if that scale is way too high, I've kept the character blank just gave it a defining shape and a running animation, if you think it is way too big i can easily adjust the scale though as it's the character only has 2 colors currently, I'm just afraid to work on it more in case it is way too big. Feedback is appreciated.

Advertisement

This is just a picture of the character next to the assets i've made so far, there's not alot to show but if you think the scale is okay let me know thanks.

That's about normal for a pixel art fighting game. By way of comparison, Ryu in Street Fighter Alpha 3 is about 100 pixels tall, depending on which frame of animation you're looking at.

@a light breeze Thank you for letting me know , i want to make an action adventure rpg with plenty of fighting styles and i think it'll be better at this scale animation wise.

The higher the resolution, the more animation frames are needed, in general.
Which can become a serious hurdle in practice. Lower res but smooth animation can look batter than high res in the end.

@JoeJ Yeah It'll be easier to animate because there's less pixels to move, But thankfully it won't be hard to scale down 2 solid colors, im using gme studio temporarily and on fullscreen it does look a bit blurry, might aswell scale down since i'm not too far into the project otherwise i can see it potentially being a problem long term, obviously if i do one animation at that resolution all of them would have to be similar resolution to fit in game otherwise it'll look out of place, but thanks and good point, I'm just glad i've waited for feedback.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement