How to Sell a Proof of Concept to Possible Investors

Started by
4 comments, last by dpadam450 2 years, 1 month ago

I have an idea to create a hack and slash RPG where players will choose from a selection of champions to face battle against hundreds of enemies at one time. The game is similar to Ninty-Nine Nights, but the game is set in the medieval age. I plan to create each character asset and animate them so that I can display each character's movement and fighting style. I plan on making a short film using these assets to show the look and feel of the game.

I am wondering what would be the best way to get possible investors interested in the project and what steps I can take to improve my chances.

Advertisement

AF1Beast said:
I am wondering what would be the best way to get possible investors interested in the project and what steps I can take to improve my chances.

Take it as far as you can before presenting it. If you can show them a working prototype, that's many many times better than a written presentation. My FAQ 21 describes how to submit a game to a game publisher. Many of the same principles apply. Especially see the chart in FAQ 11. If you run a game development company, your chances are a gazillion times the chances of an inexperienced individual. So, the best way: work in the industry for several years before making your pitch.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Btw, I think the section on “possible” vs “likely” can be illustrated this way:

Consider spending $100 on buying lottery tickets. In California, the chance of winning the Super Lotto jackpot is about 1 in 42 million, so with 100 tickets that are each different and all in the same drawing, your chances improve to 1 in 420,000. The jackpot will be big enough that you can afford to hire the necessary experienced people to produce the game (as long as your idea isn't “beat GTA5 and Horizon Forbidden West and World of Warcraft on scope.”) The chances of this actually happening are greater than the chances of you getting the same funding based on simply a design document when you don't have a proven track record.

I think this illustration is pretty helpful in describing probabilities. Will you literally win the lottery?

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I appreciate the feedback. I plan on developing the project on my own because it is something that I think I can handle. It will give me more experience and an end product that I can use to display my skill.

I have an idea to create a hack and slash RPG

Age? I hate to knock a kids dreams if you are like 13 years old, but if this is as far as you got and you want someone to invest, you got a long long way to go if you even stick with this project longer than a couple months.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement