Brand Design Review- “Leisuware Games & Software”

Started by
15 comments, last by Tom Sloper 2 years ago

I wouldn't try to squish together some words like that. It was popular in the 1960's and 70's, but fell out of favor. That's how we got labels like Microsoft, WordPerfect, Activision, Comcast, NutriSystem, and WalMart.

Adjective+Animal was popular among names for a while, including spawning a company “Adjective Animal Inc.” For a few years so was Color+Thing.

I recommend you focus on the emotions that you are trying to convey rather than the product you are trying to sell.

Advertisement

I am trying to convey excitement/fun as well as the fact that the products are affordable.

I remember about 20 years ago the company I was at bought a ton of random games from ‘cheapassgames.com’ that were all given out at a party. I thought that was an amazing name choice. A few people were offended, and were told “just pretend it is French.” ?

The company was purchased a few years ago by Greater Than Games, maybe the name is available again?

@undefined What about taking a word and switching up some of the letters? Or using foreign words and doing that to them? I am of German descent, so maybe I can use a German word and do something to it to make it unique.

I don’t want to name the company after myself (or a variation of my last name). The only company I know of that is named this way is Schell Games, a company founded by a man named Jesse Schell. That company isn’t really that well-known and is kind of “old news” nowadays. The game they are best known for, called Toontown Online, was sold to and developed mainly by Disney, and it was released under Disney’s name (rather than Schell’s) in 2003 and was shut down in 2013. Have you ever heard of Schell Games?

EDIT: forgot to mention that the original name I had in mind for my company, “MagiZile”, was literally from a dream I had when I was a kid, had no meaning behind it because of this, and was not carefully thought about like the name “Leisuware“ was. That’s why I wanted to change it after so many years, which was kind of a difficult decision.

“Brave” was added to word association, and “game” can also mean “brave”. Any suggestions with this new information?

Also, another studio seems to have the same brand design info and solutions as mine! Back to the drawing board!

Mods, please lock this thread as I had to ditch the current brand design and start over! :(

I've come to the opinion that as long as the name is neither offensive or confusing it really doesn't matter what you name your company.

When I think back to some of the publishers / studios that I used to regularly buy games from. Brands such as Ocean, Gremlin, Ultimate, Beyond, Denton, Psygnosis, Ubisoft , Epic, etc… I feel that the brand name had no impact on my purchasing decisions.

Brand reputation on the other hand was extremely important to me. When a brand continued to be associated with high quality games I built a mental association with that strong brand history and my expectations for their future releases. I would happily pay more for game releases by strong brands such as Ultimate based on a belief that their brand was an assurance of continued high quality.

While Ocean (publisher) had an extremely strong brand for releases on the Spectrum in the mid 1980's, they also fronted the releases of a few highly flawed / bugged title releases in the late 80's.

The brand damage caused by these flawed releases was hugely significant in deterring me from making future purchases from this publisher.

What I'm saying is that brand profile is developed over time. Reputations are built based on output, and must be maintained through perceived high quality interactions.

Brand name is by many magnitudes less important than brand positioning and history.

Name your company as you please, it's only when you start to do publicity and eventually push product that you really start to build your brand.

I suspect the desire to find a clever / insightful / meaningful brand name is more about ego and less about the practical value add to the eventual brand.

My only other thought on this is making your brand name Internet search friendly. Single words in common use such as Beyond or Ocean worked well pre-internet, but would be harder to optimise for modern search engines when compared to unique nouns like Nintendo.

I could've sworn I locked the thread (at Bradley's request)… Second time's the charm.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement