Shaders in OpenGL 1.4 ¿?

Started by
8 comments, last by Geri 1 year, 8 months ago

Hello guys, so i wanna to use shaders but i dont have OpenGL 2.0 , also i have 1.4 , how exactly i can do that, and im using windows but if i need linux no problem , i dont know at least nothing of OpenGL programming so if want to help me please be explicit (so much)

Advertisement

What do you mean you don't have Opengl 2.0 do you have a suitable gpu to run shaders ?

first of all, there are some good websites about opengl ,https://learnopengl.com/is one of them. you can start from here, but i suggest to switch to Vulkan as soon as possible since Opengl is a dying API

Programmer71 said:
but i suggest to switch to Vulkan as soon as possible since Opengl is a dying API

What makes you think OpenGL is dying? :O Did i miss something?

Once DX11 and OGL are dead, people have no chance to learn how to do their own graphics. Low Level APIs are too difficult and complex for an entry.
And then - you know what's next: U, U, U… nothing else anymore.

There are other industries as well which need some 3D graphics in their applications.
No - OGL won't die. Even Apple still supports it (deprecated, but supported). Contrary, Vulkan is not supported at all.

Ideally high level APIs will be implemented on top of low level APIs. Like Intel already does for their new GPUs.
Then driver developers no longer need to waste resources on implementing them, but we can still use it.

I knew that this would have raised an holy war, consider that raytracing features are not available under Opengl, when you say U,U,U , do you mean Unity and Unreal ? yes I see that 3d programming is starting to become a niche.

Programmer71 said:
I knew that this would have raised an holy war

You can't kill the old - if it's good :D

Programmer71 said:
consider that raytracing features are not available under Opengl

You need RT for a navigation display in your car? For the next retro pixel art hit? For some nice 3D game which runs on a potato?

I would agree the current RT APIs are so restrictive that they should be added to DX11 and OGL4 instead ‘flexible and low level’ APIs, but that's another story.
Seems it still takes 5 years until RT is widely adopted and could be put on minimal specs.
And even after that, preservation of old games will probably more important to people than bleeding edge and premium features of enthusiast platforms, which til then might be regulated away from gov due to power draw anyway.

Programmer71 said:
yes I see that 3d programming is starting to become a niche.

You mean like AI programming, audio programming, programming basic math routines, network programming… all programming except some game logic?

Maybe. For some time. But it looks they do not get far with that.
The ship is sinking. There will be a need for people who can build new ships. \ : ) /

What shipe are you referring to ? the big U ? , this won't happen anytime soon

I mean AAA gaming industry as a whole. They have grown too quickly, can't manage their own complexity anymore, creativity has burned out and can't work within mega corps.
HW industry struggles as well. They achieve improvements only at the cost of higher power draw at a 1:1 ratio currently, so Moores Law only ‘still holds’, because it ignores the power metric.
Additionally, i doubt the gaming market can grow any further. I expect it starts to shrink even, because the golden age is over, and we have no exciting offer.
And finally we face a global regression with no end in sight, beside having an urgent need to redistribute wealth to compensate poverty and increase costs to address climate change. So almost any ship will sink. The larger, the faster.

We are all fucked. The end is nigh. Punishment follows decadence and ignorance.
But maybe it's just me spreading fake news.

Energy lockdown is coming

poor jorge1, his thread was hijacked with the holy api war

lets not throw this virgin into the holy vulkan just yet.

jorge1, shaders exist in opengl 1.4, with some strange extensions at least, however, they will not work on modern cards any more, not with modern drivers after like 2003, and they will probably not work with ancient cards either.

you have reached a dead end there. use fixed function or software rendering, end of the story.

by judging you dont have opengl 2 then you probably doesnt have usable directx support either.

a directx10/11/opengl2/3/4 capable video card costs about $1 and some lga775 computer with pci-e ports can be literally find in landfills for free, if you cant even afford this then i am not sure how you are even paying for electricity or food, but i am very certain you lack the dedication to write a game or a engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement