Can I legally release a CC-BY-SA 3.0 game under the same brand name as games I have full copyright on?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 1 year, 7 months ago

I am planning on starting a game development company and want to have full control over the brand as well as all IP (games, assets, etc.). However, I am also making an SCP game, which has to be licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0. Would I have to use a different brand name for the CC-BY-SA 3.0 game to keep full control over the brand?

Advertisement

BradleyAuerbach said:
to keep full control over the brand?

You could only keep full control over your name, nothing more. Under the “SA” provisions, you must distribute under the same license as the original.

You can change it around in any way you want, giving suitable attribution, including whatever branding you want, including commercially. That is, you cannot masquerade as their product.

However, under ShareAlike terms, anyone who receives it from you can ALSO change it in any they want, redistribute it, rebrand it, etc., giving suitable attribution to you as their source. So you keep your branding, but they can reuse everything else they want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement