Never Register with the Government!

Started by
2 comments, last by Vilem Otte 1 year, 6 months ago

So ya,

Don't do it, just Don't!

They like want your money for doing nothing, and send you passive aggressive mail telling you you got to follow the laws, and report all your happenings in terms of personnel. And if you don't do s they say, you owe them thousands in penalties.

I wasted so much money on workers comp and 401K stuff I had to cancel and back out of.

I thought I was doing the right thing, I thought I was doing the responsible thing.

I should have known at our size, it doesn't matter. but ya, I registered with the states…. Sigh.

What a waste.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

If you're going to actually enter business, to really do business, to engage in trade, then you need to register. Even if that's registering as DBA for tax purposes, you need the tax ID and other information before various groups are willing to work with you or take you seriously. You'll need contracts in place with publishers or distributors, you'll need contracts with outlets, you'll need to pay taxes on proceeds, if you employ workers you need to follow employment law, and much more. If you're running a small business as a business then business registration is important.

If you're doing it as a hobby, if you're not forming an actual game studio that is going to properly do business, then you are correct, you're creating hassles by registering with the government. But by not being a commercial business, you're also basically removing the possibility of the hobby project becoming a commercial success.

As a businessman, I already well know that: Taxation is theft. Sadly, due to monopoly of the state on force, we have to comply.

Jokes aside - in my country (and the same will apply for most, if not all, EU member states) you don't need to be a registered entity as long as you don't receive any money (you can't have employees, but you can have contractors) - your expenses are paid from your pocket and nobody cares what you do with your money (as long as you don't physically destroy it - that's a crime).

BUT you may consider being one because of expenses and/or VAT. Income tax is done solely on what you earn (you can have your business as “secondary activity” and therefore not pay social security/healthcare tax until you earn something) … yet you will have to formally explain why are your expenses higher than your incomes (which is normal in early years of almost every sort of business - due to investments). Employees are a different thing though - the moment you have them accounting becomes more complex (read nightmare) as you need to pay their social security, healthcare, income taxes and additional payments (special insurance in case there is a workplace, sick-leave tax) plus at least minimum income (note, taxes do make up about 50% of income expenses on every employee in my country). You don't have to treat yourself (business owner) as employee, but if it is your "primary activity" you have to.

In short - you have to investigate what you are legally bound to do. Legal advice is doing exactly that, and not a single bit more (as that will always just cost you).

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement